• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blend Air Door issue? Maybe?

tcsheen

NAXJA Forum User
This issue has just started and is intermittent.... here is a quick description...

When I turn on the A/C, I'll have it going at say a power of 2, with the temperature set to the coldest, and all of a sudden, I can here something that sounds like it might be a door closing, and the air will just stop. It won't go warm as most people have issues with, it won't get more powerful or even a little less powerful, it just stops. No air is moving, no sound is coming from the vents, just nothing. So to see if I can fix this, I'll turn the power to 4 or 3 or 1, I'll let it sit at these different settings for a few seconds and still nothing. Then out of nowhere, at any of the power settings, it will come on, blasting the air at whatever power setting it happens to be on.

I hope that description is good enough, if you have any questions, don't hold back.

Now something that might help with the process of figuring out what is the problem, or how to fix this, I will say that a friend mechanic said that it sounds like the Blend Air Door is the issue.

Now my questions are as follows:

Is there a switch or fuse that controls the Door that I can just replace to see if that works?

Is it just the motor going bad? And if so, I am having one hell of a time finding a replacement blend air door motor online, any direction there? Is it salvageable (sp)?

In any case, this is not a big deal as like I said, it is intermittent, and either happens every day for a week, or doesn't happen for a whole month.

I figure it is something electrical because I am also having issues with the instrument cluster, as in, sometimes the engine temperature will work, and then sometimes it goes funky and reads the temperature backwards, and sometimes my oil guage will get stuck in the center (evern after turning the car off) and I heard that that is the negative cable going loose on the cluster, in any case, pointless information as my issue with this thread is the Blend Air Door. Oye

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

replace your blower motor resistor. The electrical connection is probably breaking when the resistors heat up, indicative of a poor connection. If you have a 97-01 I know a place to get a replacement resistor (upgraded this time so it won't rust out again) for 16. If yours is older, the part's in the same place, but is different and I don't know the number. Joe

I forget to mention the easy stuff! Yes it is a 2000. And that makes so much sense about it heating up, because when I was adding some 134 to t he A/C system, it wasn't cutting off at all, and to make sure that the A/C was working I had it on and blowing for 10+ minutes, and it never once cut off. Figured I fixed it considering my A/C was 1.5 cans low and that maybe the 134 level detector was shutting the system off. Then I went for a drive to get some air circulating through the engine block and test the A/C out and wouldn't you know it, the freaking system turns off as I pull out of the driveway, then 3 more times in a couple of minutes. I let it sit for 3 hours or so, and it worked alright for the 10+ minutes drive I went on.

The point is, the resistor probably heats up like youre saying.

Where is the best place to get a replacement resistor?

Back