• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder shopping

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
I think I'm down to these two welders for welding stuff on the unibidy and general fab work. I will keep my stick welder for thick stuff. What do you think?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100395926

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200328799.htm

The hobart I can buy for $679 from a local welding supply and the lincoln from home depot for $599. Should I keep looking? I like to have less than a grand in the whole set-up including the $200 bottle of gas but I want to be happy.

I have welded with both and, I own the lincoln 175. They are both good welders. Don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

I just bought the weld-pak 175 HD myself and am loving it, I've got the kit for .045" and a bottle of argon C02 blend and wire from .023" - .045" and I couldn't be happier. It's simple and easy to use, I've already made my front bumper a welding cart and working on the rear bumper. I have heard that lincoln has great customer support plus it came with a 3 year warranty and I got another 2-years from home depot so my machine has a 5-year warranty on it and that's what made me go with the lincoln

Stumpalump said:
The hobart I can buy for $679 from a local welding supply and the lincoln from home depot for $599. Should I keep looking? I like to have less than a grand in the whole set-up including the $200 bottle of gas but I want to be happy.
You have to be able to get a better deal than that from a local place. I picked up my Millermatic 180 with the cart, American Eagle II Pro Hobby Auto Dark Helmet, assortment of extra tips, extra wire, new gloves, and an 80 cu ft tank for under $1150 out the door (that's with 5% sales tax).

Give you're looking at the Hobart (much cheaper) you should be able to pull it off for $900 or so...
Do some looking... it'll pay off.

Last edited:
RCman said:
You have to be able to get a better deal than that from a local place. I picked up my Millermatic 180 with the cart, American Eagle II Pro Hobby Auto Dark Helmet, assortment of extra tips, extra wire, new gloves, and an 80 cu ft tank for under $1150 out the door (that's with 5% sales tax).

Give you're looking at the Hobart (much cheaper) you should be able to pull it off for $900 or so...
Do some looking... it'll pay off.

I just found the millermatic180 ,cart and 115 ft bottle for 985.00 that I think will do. Bad thing is is that he is blowing out the miller 210 with a real cart and bottle for 1500. Do you think it's worth 500 bucks to step up to the 210? Got wifes approval for either.

Stumpalump said:
I just found the millermatic180 ,cart and 115 ft bottle for 985.00 that I think will do. Bad thing is is that he is blowing out the miller 210 with a real cart and bottle for 1500. Do you think it's worth 500 bucks to step up to the 210? Got wifes approval for either.
Your asking the wrong guy about that.. haha. I use every excuse I can to buy new/better tools. The 210 is a nice machine, I just couldn't swing the extra money at the time for it. He's probably selling them off to make room for the new Millermatic 212's on the floor. You can't go wrong either way... it's in your hands now.

Stumpalump said:

More is always better. In all honesty, a 180A MIG will weld anything we're going to encounter on a Jeep if you're competent with it. The big difference is duty cycle. If you're seam welding a whoel bunch of 1/4" plate, like building a bumper or something, the 210 is far less likely to overheat. I have a Hobart 187 in my little shop here at the house, and have had to let it rest a few times during super big jobs (big being lots of continious welding, not material thickness). I am OK with that though, I have big machines at my work shop and knew what I was buying when I bought it. Either machine will single pass 1/4" plate, or double pass 3/8" with no issues. You're not likely to see thicker.

As far as the Lincoln goes, my recommendation is to avoid at all costs. I have actually thrown Lincoln machines in the dumpster due to poor performance/constant breakage. Granted, that's at work where we weld all day. For home use, they may last better, but overall, the quality just isn't there compared to Miller/Hobart.

Unless like said above you are going to be welding with it all day long every day I think you would be more then happy with the Millermatic 180. Hell, you can use the $500 you will save for materials on several builds!

mustangconv85 said:
I say buy the best welder you can if you don't you'll end up wanting to upgrade in the future and you have your wifes approval so i say go for the miller 210
Best darn trick I ever learned about women I got to use today. I buttered her up for the 210 welder and then use my financial genius to save us 500 bucks. I bet she loves the new 180 I just picked up! Thanks for the tips.

jump right to the 210, either hobart or miller (pretty much the same thing) you can get the hobart for around 1100 at TSC.

i bought mine used from a buddy and i rarely use anything else unless im doing sheet metal work. the 210 is a great welder.

another buddy has the Lincoln you picked out, the only thing i dont like about it is its harder to weld upside down with for some reason, but it lays some pretty good welds down.

Regardless which welder you get, if you don't have a 30 amp outlet in your garage, put one in. It will ensure you have the power for the thicker stuff you do. I have seen a huge difference in the performance of a welder on a 40 amp circuit as opposed to a standard outlet.

Back