• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do the wires go to on my overheard console?

Alocatelli

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 Cherokee Limited and I pullled an OHC and harness from a '90 Limted at the boneyard. There are 4 wires left that I can't figure out what they should go to. They come out of the main harness on the back of the compass/temp panel and run down to behind my right kick panel. I have the two correct wires already running to the temp sensor, the four that are left are a white w/black stripe, black w/green stripe, blue w/red stripe, and an Orange w/black stripe. If somone has the wiring diagram I just need to know where there wires would have gone to on the '90 Jeep. Thanks.

I'm not sure where they go, but i have a 90 that is dead after i rolled it,i would be glad to go out tomorrow and try and trace those wires for you.

That would be greatly appreciated if you can find anything out. The map lights are working since that was a plug that just plugged straight in to my harness. It does have the keyless entry sensor and a big plug for that but I am not hooking that part up. Basically out of those last four wires that I mentioned (they came out of the main harness under the passenger dash of the donor Jeep), I need to know which ones should be the power for the temp/compass readout. I didn't want to just start guessing and then maybe fry the compass or temp sensor on accident.

Alocatelli said:
1. White w/black stripe
2. Black w/green stripe
3. Blue w/red stripe
4. Orange w/black stripe
Hope this helps ya out...should be fairly self-explanatory.
1. Switched 12v power.
2. Compass ground (just ground it wherever).
3. 12 volt signal from the head light switch for the head lights on indicator.
4. Power wire for the illumination coming from the dimmer control switch.
When I was doing mine I'm not sure if I hooked those last two up and I think the console still did fine. That was quite a time ago at this point though. Good luck.

I'm doing the same thing to my '92 Cherokee Laredo, adding a boneyard overhead console that it didn't originally have.

My problem is the blue wire with a brown stripe on the small black connector that goes behind the right kick panel from the roof harness.

My Cherokee's corresponding plug is missing that one wire. My guess is that it's for 12V, key-switched, since the compass/thermometer won't come on, and that was on two different consoles. Do I have to go back to the junkyard and pull the plug & harness off of the '91 Limited that I got the first console out of? Is it run through the computer?

Below are the roof harness connectors and their corresponding wires:

Large black connector:
1. Orange/black
2. Blue/red
3. Violet/green - Temperature sensor input
4. Black/blue - Temperature sensor ground
5. Black/green - Ground
6. White/black

Small black connector:
A. Yellow - Door pin switches
B. Pink - 12VDC constant
C. Black - Ground
D. Blue/brown

Red connector:
1. (Not used)
2. Pink - 12VDC constant
3. (Not used)
4. Orange/violet
5. Pink/violet
6. Black/brown

Can anyone help filling in those holes in my wiring diagram, since I can't seem to find a '92 XJ wiring diagram anywhere online?

Thanks,
Bill
Sellersville, PA

90PioSport99 said:
Hope this helps ya out...should be fairly self-explanatory.
1. Switched 12v power.
2. Compass ground (just ground it wherever).
3. 12 volt signal from the head light switch for the head lights on indicator.
4. Power wire for the illumination coming from the dimmer control switch.
When I was doing mine I'm not sure if I hooked those last two up and I think the console still did fine. That was quite a time ago at this point though. Good luck.

I found a few other wire codes in my Haynes manual tonight:

Large black connector:
1. Orange/black - dim for compass/thermometer
2. Blue/red -
5. Black/green - Ground
6. White/black -

Small black connector:
B. Pink - 12VDC constant
C. Black - Ground
D. Blue/brown -

Red connector:
1. (Not used)
2. Pink - 12VDC constant for keyless entry module
3. (Not used)
4. Orange/violet - Keyless entry module - lock
5. Pink/violet - Keyless entry module - unlock
6. Black/brown -

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Bill

OldsVistaCruiser said:
I'm doing the same thing to my '92 Cherokee Laredo, adding a boneyard overhead console that it didn't originally have.

My problem is the blue wire with a brown stripe on the small black connector that goes behind the right kick panel from the roof harness.

My Cherokee's corresponding plug is missing that one wire. My guess is that it's for 12V, key-switched, since the compass/thermometer won't come on, and that was on two different consoles. Do I have to go back to the junkyard and pull the plug & harness off of the '91 Limited that I got the first console out of? Is it run through the computer?

Below are the roof harness connectors and their corresponding wires:

Large black connector:
1. Orange/black
2. Blue/red
5. Black/green - Ground
6. White/black

Small black connector:
B. Pink - 12VDC constant
C. Black - Ground
D. Blue/brown

Red connector:
1. (Not used)
2. Pink - 12VDC constant
3. (Not used)
4. Orange/violet
5. Pink/violet
6. Black/brown

Can anyone help filling in those holes in my wiring diagram, since I can't seem to find a '92 XJ wiring diagram anywhere online?

Thanks,
Bill
Sellersville, PA

Back