• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed swap PLEASE HELP!

jackyl

NAXJA Forum User
92' XJ originally auto, now with a 90' AX15:

I'm done with my 5spd swap, everything is in. I went to start it and nothing, I found out the fuel pump was shot, so I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter (now the pump primes). But, no matter what I do I cannot get it to start. I killed the battery tonight, and then I was jumping it trying to get it to go, the best I could do is it would have a puff of white smoke come out of the intake, it would sound like it wants to fire but it just wouldn't run.
1) I'm using the CPS from the auto and I know it's good because I have spark.
2) It's a new fuel pump and filter so I should have fuel to the rail by now.
3) Normally, with a FI engine if you hold the gas pedal to the board when your cranking it, it will give it more fuel to fire on. When I do it in this situation, it just bogs down the engine (more fuel=bog?)
4) I'm using the auto ECU because trying to find a manual ECU is not easy. DO I NEED A MANUAL ECU? I thought that it didn't matter what tranny was hooked up because the ECU is just for the timing and fuel curves of the engine along with temp. But I know the auto trans hooks up to it, but I bypassed the NSS to get it to turn over.

I need a solution fast because this is seriously affecting my work, school, and my self worth,:skull2: not to mention my pocket book. And to top it off I can't have it taken to a dealership because they will not touch it because it is modified, and other shops will not touch it for the same reason.
Does anyone know the solution to this situation?
Dan

auto and 5spd CPS's are different parts.... could be your issue

Well I think my mistake was going to autozone. Autozone said that they only have one cps and it does not state auto or manual. So I figured it would be the same. But Advance Auto lists more than one, and they have one for a manual. *sigh* not looking forward to dropping the crossmember again to get at the cps, but if it will take care of the problem I'll do it faster than the first time.

Anyone know for sure that I do not need to swap the ECU? I'll pick up the CPS for the manual XJ's tomorrow from advance. I see advance also sells XJ ECU's for 158.99, not bad for a new/reman ECU considering yards want about 75bucks for a crusty used one.

You may want to check on the ECU, I know that the one in my 87 with an auto is listed as a different part number than the ECU in my 88 with a manual. This is the renix system and the CPS from my manual works with my auto...as does my ECU from my manual working with my auto (at least firing up). I have a fried ECU in the Auto and am awaiting a replacement.

I just took the B & C wire from the ECU harness that would normally plug into the harness for the NSS and put the B & C together to bypass the NSS and get the engine to crank.

I'm going with the idea that it's the CPS, and I'm going to get the manual CPS today and try it out. (or at least try to get it today).

Hmmm I wonder if the ECU was different enough between those two transmissions during those years to make it a problem. In my 97, I was able to start and drive with the auto PCM. I did swap it out though as it kep giving me a check engine line when it was looking for the TCU. In any case, you're saying you connected two of those wires to bypass the NSS. I don't recall which wire it was on mine, but I just grounded it out. On the other hand IIRC you should still be fine with what you did because with the NSS not grounded out or bypassed I don't think your engine would turn over. Something worth a shot would be to find someone with a same or similar year XJ and a manual tranny and borrow their ECU for a few minutes :D

jackyl said:
92' XJ originally auto, now with a 90' AX15:

I'm done with my 5spd swap, everything is in. I went to start it and nothing, I found out the fuel pump was shot, so I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter (now the pump primes). But, no matter what I do I cannot get it to start. I killed the battery tonight, and then I was jumping it trying to get it to go, the best I could do is it would have a puff of white smoke come out of the intake, it would sound like it wants to fire but it just wouldn't run.
1) I'm using the CPS from the auto and I know it's good because I have spark.
2) It's a new fuel pump and filter so I should have fuel to the rail by now.
3) Normally, with a FI engine if you hold the gas pedal to the board when your cranking it, it will give it more fuel to fire on. When I do it in this situation, it just bogs down the engine (more fuel=bog?)
4) I'm using the auto ECU because trying to find a manual ECU is not easy. DO I NEED A MANUAL ECU? I thought that it didn't matter what tranny was hooked up because the ECU is just for the timing and fuel curves of the engine along with temp. But I know the auto trans hooks up to it, but I bypassed the NSS to get it to turn over.

I need a solution fast because this is seriously affecting my work, school, and my self worth,:skull2: not to mention my pocket book. And to top it off I can't have it taken to a dealership because they will not touch it because it is modified, and other shops will not touch it for the same reason.
Does anyone know the solution to this situation?
Dan

you have spark and fuel, so its a timing issue.

are you using the flywheel from the 90? if so thats a renix flywheel and the 92 computer wont work with it.

It wouldnt be turning over at all if it was the NSS

but yes to bypass it you need to wire the 2 black wires together (on the NSS side, not the harness side)

89xj said:
you have spark and fuel, so its a timing issue.

are you using the flywheel from the 90? if so thats a renix flywheel and the 92 computer wont work with it.

That was my fear when I got off the phone with the dealership today, they said the 90' and 92' used different flywheels. and it's 400+ for the 92' flywheel. and I had the 90' that I'm using surfaced (50 bucks) on top of it.

Who makes the cps pick up that runs off the harmonic balancer. I'm willing to go that route but I can't remember who makes that setup. It'll be cheaper than buying a flywheel and taking the tranny away from the engine, the clutch assembly off the flywheel, and then the flywheel off the crank and spending $ and then doing it again to see if it works. This way I can get the cps out of the bellhousing on on the front of the engine. Hell I'll even pay for next day!

DAn.

I beleive I have it figured out.

I have this on order for delivery tomorrow

92' Manual Flywheel, the notches are way different from the 90' flywheel that I currently have. And I'm going to risk just using my CPS that I was using with the auto, since the dealer says it's the same part # for the CPS regardless of being auto or manual.

92' Flywheel
501002_fro.jpg

See the notch differences

90' Flywheel
501004_fro.jpg

Last edited:
Just to clarify, opening the throttle all the way while cranking, shuts off the fuel. The ECM goes into "flood mode" when it senses the throttle wide open, and the engine not running.

glad you got it figured out. i feel your pain about removing the tranny. i just redid the internal slave on mine about 4 months ago.

Once I swapped out the 90 flywheel and put in the 92' flywheel it's all good. Thanks guys, I couldn't beleive that 90 to 92 they did that. But, now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Now, I just need lockers :D

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

This is what happens when your rushing to get it out and back on the road and say "I'll put the front DS on later tonight" then you take the woman
out for a little drive and see some cravel that would be nice to go over, and a ledge to crawl up. I hit the ledge with the front wheels, and I felt the
rear end sink hard. I walked over to my garage (yeah this is in my backyard) and grabbed the front DS and put it on, then I dug myself even deeper
than the above image. The problem is I NEEDED TO POUND THE $H!T OUT OF IT to get it out, I rocked between 1st and reverse and then just hammered
1st gear, and it got out of it. I know with lockers this would not have happend, or would have it? That gravel was loose and ready to suck whatever dug into it.

Last edited:
Back