• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still not running

farmfreakjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I checked every thing, nothing loose, Jeep start's 5 second's, then die's. Any body ever have a speed sensor go bad? Cant find any thing broken, or not loose! Thank's

What year? Got a bad ballast resistor?

Speed sensor should have nothing to do with it not running. For that matter, yes, I have had a speed sensor go bad.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

How about a vaccumm leak that you just cant see? I've had lines with cracks in them that i couldnt see at 1st.

ballast. On your driver side front fender there is a ballast for the fuel pump, if it is bad or connections need clean it will do exactly what you are discribing. Try pulling the connections and putting in a jumper wire.

Jess said:
do you loose fuel or spark?
just checked at the test port on the fuel rail. Don't have a fuel guage, but hardly any fuel come's out after shut down.This can't be good. Fuel filter is 3 year's old,so maybe this is the problem. Out of time for tonight, will replace this tomorrow. Thank's to all for the suggestion's.

jragan said:
How long before shutdown? could be fuel filter however if it is starting I would question that. Also if starting pump is getting fuel there at first. Parts America lists a ballast for the year. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=AL125K

I would look closely at this. Exact issue I have seen time and time again with a bad ballast

I don't think there's a ballast on a 96, but my son will be dropping by later today with his 96, as it happens, so I'll pop the hood and look. There's none in my 95. I do wonder, though, if an ignition switch problem could cause similar problems, since, ballast or not, there may be a difference in current path to the fuel pump when cranking. If he has his FSM with him, I'll try to check that too.

In the meantime, it would be really handy if farmfreakjeep just happened to have a test light or meter which he could backprobe somewhere into the fuel pump harness, and see if the fuel pump is getting power after the key goes back to the run position.

Matthew Currie said:
I don't think there's a ballast on a 96, but my son will be dropping by later today with his 96, as it happens, so I'll pop the hood and look. There's none in my 95. I do wonder, though, if an ignition switch problem could cause similar problems, since, ballast or not, there may be a difference in current path to the fuel pump when cranking. If he has his FSM with him, I'll try to check that too.

In the meantime, it would be really handy if farmfreakjeep just happened to have a test light or meter which he could backprobe somewhere into the fuel pump harness, and see if the fuel pump is getting power after the key goes back to the run position.
Thank's for the help, just got home with a new filter. Going to check the pump also at tank. Thank's again

by the way, there really is no ballast in a 96. It isn't hiding somewhere. It ain't there. I didn't have a chance to check the FSM for other wiring issues, but the late unlamented ballast did not make an encore in 96.

Matthew Currie said:
by the way, there really is no ballast in a 96. It isn't hiding somewhere. It ain't there. I didn't have a chance to check the FSM for other wiring issues, but the late unlamented ballast did not make an encore in 96.
Just changed fuel filter,pumping fuel. I changed a throttle body from the transplanted engine,won't run at all with this one. Gonna take it to a jeep mech. Sat. Thank's for every one's input. I'l post the solution if we get it done Sat. Thank's again, farmfreakjeep

Matthew Currie said:
Just changed fuel filter,pumping fuel. I changed a throttle body from the transplanted engine,won't run at all with this one. Gonna take it to a jeep mech. Sat. Thank's for every one's input. I'l post the solution if we get it done Sat. Thank's again, farmfreakjeep

farmfreakjeep said:
Running now, but wild,have to crack throttle butterfly open a little, run's 1000 rpm's to 4000 up and down. Air/fuel?

Back