• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance Cams?

damo252

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at mods that will increase the torque on the engine, I could care less about HP. I have an 89 limited, and was wondering what performance torque cams were available. I have searched the web, and this site with not much results, any suggestions or experiences?

If you've got Desktop Dyno 2000, I can send you a collection of camshaft data files that you can plug in and play with.

I managed to track down about sixty various camshafts - two years ago - when I wrote my inline six book. Most of them I was able to get grind data on.

5-90

chrslefty said:
ok i stold this from JP mag!
comp cams Xtream 4x4 cam (PN 68-232-4)

they got a a 12hp &18tq increas on a 89 mj

I read this article, and could not find the cam listed on the comp cams website :dunno:

damo252 said:
I don't have desktop dyno, is there a free version of it somewhere?

I'm not sure there is a free version - there may be, but I paid for mine.

If you go download the archive file I created (groups.yahoo.com/group/JeepPower, "Files" section, "AMC I6 Cam Data.zip") and unZip it, you should get a listing of all the cams I have been able to accumulate data for. I haven't checked to see what options may have surfaced since then (with the AMC I6 ending production for the 2007 MY, I'm not sure there are going to be too many more options...) but you should still be able to get them by manufacturer and part number, and that will give you a jumping-off point for research.

I've noted the "databases" option in Yahoo! Groups - I just haven't gotten around to taking advantage of it. I do have "grind cards" on file for most cams - they're readily available for the asking from most cam grinders.

However, if you're going to do comparative studies of parts and mods, I do suggest you get a copy of Dyno2000 - check Summit or Jeg's, or go to the coder's side (Motion Software, as I recall.) It's not the best sim out there, but it's not the worst, either. It does tend to be a little, er, "optomistic" with its numbers (it doesn't account for parasitic drag, for instance,) but it's otherwise consistent, and a useful tool for planning.

There are better sims out there, but I haven't gotten $500 ahead to buy them just yet. Deductible or not, if I can't come up with the cash, I can't come up with the cash. I did, however, make extensive use of Dyno2000 when I wrote my book...

5-90

well they do have this [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]AMC 6 High Energy 260H Cam & Kit but it doesnt specify cherokee
[/FONT]

I think the stock cam is just fine for torque. Getting rid of the kinks in the exhaust system and opening up the intake does good things for torque.

But if you going to open up the engine to put a different cam in, you might as well rebuild the engine into a stroker. You would get a lot more torque than ANY cam could ever dream of providing on a stock engine.

Or if you don't mind regearing that works wonders for torque.

Back