• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing factory speakers

jtkratzer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace the stock speakers and I've seen different/conflicting information on what speakers fit where. Circuit City and Crutchfield both say 5.25" all the way around. I have one in each of the front doors, and two in the soundbar behind the rear seat. It appears that wiring is already in place for speakers in the dashboard and in the tailgate. Anyone have a diagram or a listing of what speakers fit where without any modification? I'm just looking to do a swap of the original spearkers with new ones.

Installing speakers themselves would be something I could do on my own, but I don't have a clue when it comes to an amp. Should I get it done wherever I buy the speakers or is there a write up on this?

I searched around and couldn't find much for a how to.

'96 Cherokee Sport 4 door - that info would probably help.

its VERY easy to do your self. the front is 5.25 and you can fit 6.5" in there with a little work and they sound better. the rear sound bar is 5.25" as well. the rear hatch? I didnt know they had speakers on there, I always thought it was a custom mod to do it there. the sound bar is just as good and might be better sound wise as long as its secured in the center to the overhead. Do it your self, its easy and you'll learn the internals of your door at the same time. save the money for something else, like an amp. that is something you would want a shop to do if you dont know how to, but google speaker install or amp install, there's how too's all over the net! Good luck! you can PM me if you need one on one help and i'll glady assist.

selarep said:
its VERY easy to do your self. the front is 5.25 and you can fit 6.5" in there with a little work and they sound better. the rear sound bar is 5.25" as well. the rear hatch? I didnt know they had speakers on there, I always thought it was a custom mod to do it there. the sound bar is just as good and might be better sound wise as long as its secured in the center to the overhead. Do it your self, its easy and you'll learn the internals of your door at the same time. save the money for something else, like an amp. that is something you would want a shop to do if you dont know how to, but google speaker install or amp install, there's how too's all over the net! Good luck! you can PM me if you need one on one help and i'll glady assist.

Thanks, about the rear hatch...there are grills there and when I pulled the panel away a bit, it looks like it's an open spot for a speaker. I didn't have it off the whole way.

When you say a little work for the 6.5"...how about a little more detail?

you may have to bend out the factory mounting holes a little to get them to fit. I am gonna do mine on my 98 since I just bought some really nice 6.5" memphis components. I'll take some pics when I get it done, I just want to rig an amp.

Did you replace your head unit? I just bought this XJ on Saturday and either the factory speakers are worn (and crappy) or two of them are blown. They buzz quite a bit during most radio play, and I don't think I even have a cassette to try to see if that thing works. Right now, it's just the radio.

This is pretty much my situation with the audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJjy7sPh6Kkhttp://www.youtube.com/v/xJjy7sPh6Kk

I put some sony explod 6.5 in the front of my 99 from walmart for 20 or 30 dollars a pair. No modification needed, lines up with the holes and fits perfect behind the panel. I think they are 4-ways also. They sound great for the price!

99xjclassic said:
I put some sony explod 6.5 in the front of my 99 from walmart for 20 or 30 dollars a pair. No modification needed, lines up with the holes and fits perfect behind the panel. I think they are 4-ways also. They sound great for the price!

Are you running these from an amp or right from the head unit?

I'm assuming I need to replace the head unit if I want to upgrade the speakers. Right now, it's just a am/fm/tape, but I don't think it will power bigger speakers.

6.5" speaker fit in the rear sound bar with some dremel work.

jtkratzer said:
Are you running these from an amp or right from the head unit?

I'm assuming I need to replace the head unit if I want to upgrade the speakers. Right now, it's just a am/fm/tape, but I don't think it will power bigger speakers.

What?! Are you saying you think that the bigger speakers wont work because of the stock headunit?! Read up on how speakers work...
http://www.polkaudio.com/education/article.php?id=35

You dont NEED to replace a thing if you're just doing speakers. Anything will sound better than the stock speakers which are valued at a good 3$ bucks.
And there is no need for an AMP. Unless you want to run your speakers to their max sound quality that is... which I am.
I run 4 speakers all with cross overs and an amp that tunes them up way better than stock. If they did not have cross overs then I wouldnt need the amp. I'm also running a 550$ kenwood headunit.
Good Luck. If you need audio help, PM me, I'll gladly help...

selarep said:
What?! Are you saying you think that the bigger speakers wont work because of the stock headunit?! Read up on how speakers work...
http://www.polkaudio.com/education/article.php?id=35

You dont NEED to replace a thing if you're just doing speakers. Anything will sound better than the stock speakers which are valued at a good 3$ bucks.
And there is no need for an AMP. Unless you want to run your speakers to their max sound quality that is... which I am.
I run 4 speakers all with cross overs and an amp that tunes them up way better than stock. If they did not have cross overs then I wouldnt need the amp. I'm also running a 550$ kenwood headunit.
Good Luck. If you need audio help, PM me, I'll gladly help...

I've heard of issues people have had with factory stereo equipment that doesn't have the power to push the bigger, more powerful speakers. I know how they work, I was just asking a question. Factory speakers sound better when you bump the power up with either an amp or a more powerful head unit.

sorry man, didnt mean to sound so harsh in that post there. I was a little drunk last night.

Any speaker will sound better with the right amp, they'll even sound good with a stock head unit.
the factory speakers are paper thin paper made crap...

selarep said:
sorry man, didnt mean to sound so harsh in that post there. I was a little drunk last night.

Any speaker will sound better with the right amp, they'll even sound good with a stock head unit.
the factory speakers are paper thin paper made crap...

No problem, no offense taken. I'd like to take my door panels off to check out the speakers to see if any of them are actually blown or it's just something else buzzing.

a good way to test that is... car off, key at ATT, radio on and off. or car off, listen, car on listen... some times the head unit gets all screwy and starts funking the signals to your speakers... then you just need a new head unit. you can easily get a pre-amp and an amp and then speakers and keep the stock head unit, but thats to much work. get a nice head unit with 4-5v pre-outs if you're ever thinking about running an amp. shoot, I think 3v might be ok too.

The stock deck will work with ur speakers it just well... sucks lol I would buy a deck (even a cheap deck will sound better then the stock IMO) and some 5.25's Thats what I did on my first jeep and it sounded pretty good. i got a used Pioneer and some cheap sony speakers from walmart. (even sounded good with mud caked in em lol) The speakers are in the hatch on older models. The soundbar became either an option to the hatch speakers or just a replacement (I'm not 100% sure to be honest). It sounds better on the soundbar because the fiberglass tailgate kinda eats up the bass the speakers make (and 5.25s dont make alot) What I ended up doing on my new jeep is take 2 speaker bars: one by the tailgate and one just behind the front seats and put 5.25s there running off the head units speaker wires. Then i got a free amp (nothing special) and some cheap 6x9's from work (I love workign at Best Buy lol) and hooked those up to the line out of the deck and have them in the cargo area in the 6x9 speaker enclosures to give a little more lows into the sound. i love it and i never have to worry about less music when the doors are off :p

Just to throw out one more :idea: . Depending on how much ya want to spend.
www.qlogicenclosures.com has replacement kickpanels that are designed to hold a two-way component system consisting of a 6.125" max diameter woofer and up to a 2.0" diameter tweeter color matched to the interior.

Russ

:):) I just finished up putting in my diamond audio components. $275 hits the wallet pretty hard though... But they sound amazing and I am very pleased.

As for speaker fitment, the woofers were 5 1/4's and didn't fit worth dick. Way too small. I had to fab up a mounting plater for underneath, which was kind of a pain. Before I had 6.5'' Kenwoods, and like mentioned above, they fit but the holes don't line up exactly.

DanMan2k06 said:
:):) I just finished up putting in my diamond audio components. $275 hits the wallet pretty hard though... But they sound amazing and I am very pleased.

As for speaker fitment, the woofers were 5 1/4's and didn't fit worth dick. Way too small. I had to fab up a mounting plater for underneath, which was kind of a pain. Before I had 6.5'' Kenwoods, and like mentioned above, they fit but the holes don't line up exactly.

So, you'd recommend getting 6.5" for the front...when you say the holes don't line up quite right, do you just have to drill new ones?

No you don't necessarily have to drill new holes. With mine the screws went in sort of diagonally intead of at a 90* angle. Not a big deal.

But yes I would recomend some 6.5's. I actually have the Kenwoods still in like new condish, and would let them go real cheap if you want them :)

Back