• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yukon Shafts: WTF?

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a set of Yukon shafts to go into my D30, and they just won't go in. I tried taper filing the inner ends down to insert into the carrier splines (4.88"s w/ an Ox locker) and they still won't go. The stock shafts go in, so I know the problem isn't with the carrier splines, but how much hand-machining should a guy have to do to make a $600 set of high-alloy shafts fit?

This is complete BS. Anyone else encounter this with Yukons?

Are you 100% sure you have the correct shafts?

yea may have sent ya the wrong shafts, alloy sent me a long side 30 with a short side 44 and 44 stubs. And as mentioned it may be a bit of a tighter fit, but not so much as you would have to file or sand.

My Alloy's were a tight fit. Just keep trying while rotating slightly each time you try. Sometimes you just have to hit the sweet spot for it to go in. (sounded dirty huh lmao)

The 29 spline Yukon shafts I got for my C8.25 were a REALLY tight fit. At first I thought it was just the packaging grease/gunk. Given the amount of presssure (BFH) needed to persuade them into my Detroit (sprung sides doesn't help) I think they must be machined slightly over rather than under size.

With hindsight I'm not sure really tight fitting splines is a good idea, changing them on a trail could be a PITA if the heat/oil/wear hasn't loosened them off.

English XJ said:
The 29 spline Yukon shafts I got for my C8.25 were a REALLY tight fit. At first I thought it was just the packaging grease/gunk. Given the amount of presssure (BFH) needed to persuade them into my Detroit (sprung sides doesn't help) I think they must be machined slightly over rather than under size.

With hindsight I'm not sure really tight fitting splines is a good idea, changing them on a trail could be a PITA if the heat/oil/wear hasn't loosened them off.

Man, that just doesnt seem right??? I have Alloy usa shafts in my 8.25 & D30 and they went in by hand, definately no BFH needed. Their fit was snug and positive.

Goodluck with removal later.

try cleaning some of that weird yellowish brown grease off the splines with brake cleaner, or air craft stripper. sometimes that coating can be just enough to mess you up.

but definitely make sure you count the spline count 2, 3 and 4 times to make sure they are the right spline count.

ive put in shafts with mud caked on and haven't had a problem with them not going in. count your splines and compare the OD with the stock shafts they should be the same size. my yukon shafts for my 44 slid right in with no problems.

fubar XJ said:
So I have a set of Yukon shafts to go into my D30, and they just won't go in. I tried taper filing the inner ends down to insert into the carrier splines (4.88"s w/ an Ox locker) and they still won't go. The stock shafts go in, so I know the problem isn't with the carrier splines, but how much hand-machining should a guy have to do to make a $600 set of high-alloy shafts fit?

This is complete BS. Anyone else encounter this with Yukons?

They are the right shafts. Did you let John know about it? I installed his broken D44 shaft today without any problems. I wouldn't file too much though.

Back