• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

acceleration + left turn = cutting out

GSP

NAXJA Forum User
Great resource here--I'm hoping someone can help.

'98 4x4 4.0 auto

When I make a sharp left turn (hasn't happened when making a right) at low speeds and accelerate (such as pulling away from an intersection), the vehicle will momentarily stall out and then quickly resume running as normal. It runs great under all other conditions.

my '89 does it when i go right =\

pumps on the left side, front half of the tank. gas sloshes away from the pickup, no fuel sent to engine. my 98 does the same. think of it this way: when you're parked going uphill, the fuel indicated, after a period of time, is less than what is in there because the fuel is in the back of the tank. when parked facing downhill the opposite is true. It happens to me only when I'm below 1/4 of a tank and happens easier-less turn required-the less fuel I have. Although, it hasn't happened for a long time...so who knows.

Best solution: refill your tank at 1/4 of a tank-never happened to me below that, or just take it easy when turning left :)

Fillled it up and everything's fine. Sucks to have this happen with over 20 litres remaining in the tank. Will the dealer be aware of the TSB./

Blaine B. said:
I think there was a tsb regarding the fuel pickup for 97+ xj's.

I beieve it only covered the 97's, even though the 98-01's used the same parts, and have the same design, and suffer from the same problem :doh:....I could be wrong however.

hmmmm...... my 92 does the same thing at a little less than 1/4 tank,and the fuel system is not the same as the 97's and newer. what gives?

Back