• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accesories Stay on after I turn the key off.

texinteg

NAXJA Forum User
I cant figure it out. The radio and the heater continues to run even after I turn the jeep off and remove the Key. Its an 88 cherokee and I havent really messed with any of the electrical. I need to figure out what the problem is cause it keeps drianing the battery when I forget to manully turn off the radio and heater. Any suggestions? Oh and I did just replace the steering colum with one from a later model Cherokee so that i could have a tilt wheel and intermitent wipers. Wonder if that screw anything up??? Thanks in advance.

Nick

Did the problem start immediately after you installed the new tilt column? If not, I'd replace the ignition switch. If so, I'd open it back up and look for a pinched wire.

No not right away. It worked fine for a while then the other day I was using the heater and it stayed on when I turned the jeep off so I checked turned the radion on and it came on too. No key in the ignition during all of this.

Yeah, check your wiring for any pinches or whatever. At least you don't have the problem that my dad had in his '87...you could START it without the key...lol.

I have been trying to figure out what it could be. It doesnt seem to be any pinched wires and the heater and the radio are on different circuits. Is it possible that it is the ignition switch, and if so Does any one have a pic of where it is located. I am not talking about the ignition cylinder but the actual switch.

The switch is at the bottem of the column. There is a rod that connects to it that goes up the column. I heard that the switch could be adjusted.

Back