• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew Johnny joint LCA's

Love2Ride450

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning a budget/custom homebrew lift for my 85 XJ, and am planning on building a set of LCA's, possibly UCA's if I see a need for them. After much reading I have decided it would be best to do it with some Johnny joints rather than the previously planned stock rubber bushings and round tubing. I am sure I am not the only one to do such a thing, so I was hoping there was a writeup complete with parts list for such a build. I did search, but am getting somewhat impatient as thoughts begin running through my mind. I have read that the Currie LCA's are super duper great items, and am imagining mine will hopefully be a reasonable copy of them, however, I have never seen any.... What size round tube would you all suggest as the main component of the LCA's. I have access to a Lathe, so I can do some boring/turning down if necessary.

Thanks in advance, any tips or better ideas will be considered and appreciated.:geek:

You'll need at least one UCA unless your doing a radius arm setup

2x.250 wall DOM will be your friend

Love2Ride450 said:
I am planning a budget/custom homebrew lift for my 85 XJ, and am planning on building a set of LCA's, possibly UCA's if I see a need for them. After much reading I have decided it would be best to do it with some Johnny joints rather than the previously planned stock rubber bushings and round tubing. I am sure I am not the only one to do such a thing, so I was hoping there was a writeup complete with parts list for such a build. I did search, but am getting somewhat impatient as thoughts begin running through my mind. I have read that the Currie LCA's are super duper great items, and am imagining mine will hopefully be a reasonable copy of them, however, I have never seen any.... What size round tube would you all suggest as the main component of the LCA's. I have access to a Lathe, so I can do some boring/turning down if necessary.

Thanks in advance, any tips or better ideas will be considered and appreciated.:geek:

Err, let's see, parts:

tubing. Either 1.75" or 2" OD .250" wall. Either is ok for 95 % wheeling, I actually like the idea of smaller tube. Just make sure that your threaded bungs will fit into the ID.

Johnny Joints and threaded bungs

Lower bushings and mounting "shells"

That's all ya need unless you want to joint both ends. I will say that I think on shortarms with ~5" of lift or less, using bushings vs. joints is more or less personal preference. I have fixed length LCas with rubber at both ends, and they are not the limiting factor in my flex by any means. I guess that's just my opinion, but mine are working well. If I built adjustable arms, I'd guess I'd go ahead and buy johnny joints, simply because they are avaliable with the threaded studs welded on, one less thing to do ;)

Last edited:
ZacSquatch said:
You'll need at least one UCA unless your doing a radius arm setup

2x.250 wall DOM will be your friend

I will be using upper arms, just not sure if I will build any adjustable JJ versions or not. I will most likely put it together with stock uppers, and try it, then build some uppers later.

hillbilly, it sounds like you think it would only be necessary to have jj's at the frame end? I had planned on doing them at both ends, though now that you mention it, it wouldn't really be necessary would it? In fact it would be much simpler to only jj the one end. Hmmmmmmm

Since the jj end will be very flexy, would it be a bad idea to have a poly bushing at the axle end?

Does anyone have a good pic of the famous currie lca?

Nothing wrong with poly, I like the rubber ones because if any give is needed, they'll flex more than a poly, and they help a lot to insulate NVH.

JJ's on both end are not needed. poly/rubber on axle side will flex like a champ

ZacSquatch said:
JJ's on both end are not needed. poly/rubber on axle side will flex like a champ

X2
Plus, having "hard" joints at both ends transmits more noise/shock to the body.

Last edited:
Yes. JJ or Flex joint. Some sort of spherical rod end at the frame side. Then regular poly bushings at the axle side.

www.polyperformance.com has some nice stuff. I really like thier frame brackets. No stanky on the hang down. they tuck up real nice to the frame rails.

Also www.ballisticfab.com has some cheaper prices for brackets and such.

For the arms 2" .250 wall square tubing will be your friend.

Hey, prerunner, did you use the threaded bungs that currie sells? what size threaded joint did you use? I am curious as to what the od is on the bungs for the 1" thread, but the site doesn't say. When I called today, the phone number didn't work. I'll try again tomorrow. I may just order the joints and jam nuts, an make the bungs myself, since I have already picked up some tubing, and the ID is 1.3". It is 1.675" OD. I think it is HREW, but not sure. It is .175 wall thickness.

Oh, BTW, this will be a short arm setup, I am thinking adjustable from 16.25 to 17.75 or so. It seems like I read 16.5 is right for a 4-4.5" lift.

I have decided on JJ at frame end, and stock rubber bushing at axle end. I will be getting some other material tomorrow that I will bore to the od of the rubber bushing. I will hopefully be able to do a writeup on this once I gather all of the parts. I'll be sure to include part #'s and pics. :farmer:

I would move up in tubing size for real strength. 2" x 1/4" wall all the way...... Never HREW on links, they will split after a few impacts.......1 JJ or RE joint is enough but if it is going to touch the ground make it strong enough to last the first time it does......I know a little about these......

BTW, these are both the strongest & least expensive for the axle end.....
normal_big_curve_med_axle_bracket.jpg

3/8" thick, easy to add a bridge, $4.50 each before the NAXJA 10% discount......

Last edited:
why the ball style joint at the body end?

why not the axle end like re's superflex arms?

i would have to disagree and say it doesnt really matter.

if its on the body side the arm will rotate with the axle

if it's on the axle side then the arm wont move much at all.

agreed?

just wondering why everyone says to go with the flex end on the body side while all lift manufacturers design their arms to have the joint at the axle side.

If you are doing a radius arm design, the flex joint on the frame sees a lot more deflection. On a 4 link short arm, I don't think it would really matter. Put them where they fit best.

Just my $.02

I would think that a joint on the body side would see less dirt/mud/water as well thus corrosion and more time inbetween re-builds. Axle side seems to be more in these elements seeing as they are closer to the ground

I like the idea of the more flexible end at the frame, but will be able to flip them at the word go, so perhaps I'll try them both ways, and see if one seems better. I spoke with the guy at the steel outlet today, and he said the pipe I purchased was schedule 80. My opinion by looking at and feeling the weight of this material is that it is PLENTY strong. Think about this, the stock arms have been working fine for over 20 years, and they are POS stamped steel junk. If I break one of these arms, I will let you know, and I appreciate the concern/advice, but I really think this will be more than sufficient material.

Oh, and I will be retaining the stock mounting points on the axle end and the frame end, so while those brackets are nice, Gravelmaker, I do not think I'll be needing them.

Thanks,
Josh

Love2Ride450 said:
I spoke with the guy at the steel outlet today, and he said the pipe I purchased was schedule 80. My opinion by looking at and feeling the weight of this material is that it is PLENTY strong. Think about this, the stock arms have been working fine for over 20 years, and they are POS stamped steel junk. If I break one of these arms, I will let you know, and I appreciate the concern/advice, but I really think this will be more than sufficient material.

Josh

I've got the popcorn ready.

Yeah Yeah, DOM is waaaaay overrated... Its not like they use it for roll cages or anything.. its toothpicks and elmerz compared to (DUH DUH DUH DUHHHHHH) SCHEDULE 80!!!!

whacky086.gif
hiding.gif

Back