• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire question

jp904x4

NAXJA Forum User
i have a set of 32s but 2 different kinds of tire. there an off brand 2 of them look like buckshoots and the other 2 look like groundhawgs both have 80% tread would i be dumb to put them on:dunno:

jp904x4 said:
I have a set of 32's but two different kinds of tire. They're an off brand, two of them look like Buckshots and the other two look like Groundhawgs, both have 80% tread. Would I be dumb to put them on?
Why not? :dunno:

Just make sure to put the matching tires on the same axle, esp. if you have a locker.

-----Matt-----

That is not TOTALLY correct.
If there is a differance in diameter of the tires it CAN add stress to the transfer case depending on what kind of transfer case you have.

Many transfer cases are "locked" front and rear driveshafts when in 4x4 and in this case if there is a differance in the tire diameters then it can add stress to the transfer case. In reality as long as the tire diameter differance is small then it shouldn't be a problem. But like mentioned above if you have a TAD then you definetly want the matching tires on the same axles.

Michael

its not a subaru. thats only for the symmertical transfercases in the AWD cars. if you have a blow out and all your tires are 3/4% new, you need to buy all 4 nex tires. such as a normal transfer case like in out xj's you only would need to replace the other tire on that axle. in your case try to make sure they are not radials, if they are what i am thinking of, have fun trying to hold on to that steering wheel those tires are like balloons. good luck

Put the buckshots in the front and the groundhawgs in the back. Both those tires are good tires, never heard any complaints. Measure them and make sure they are pretty close in height, you don't want something to blow up!

Smittty9785 said:
its not a subaru. thats only for the symmertical transfercases in the AWD cars. if you have a blow out and all your tires are 3/4% new, you need to buy all 4 nex tires. such as a normal transfer case like in out xj's you only would need to replace the other tire on that axle. in your case try to make sure they are not radials, if they are what i am thinking of, have fun trying to hold on to that steering wheel those tires are like balloons. good luck

Subaru's are not the only transfer cases like this. Most Land Rovers, Toyota Land Cruisers are two that I can think of off the top of my head. The Jeep 231 in my XJ is also that way in Neutral (I believe it is also in 4x4 both Hi and Low range). I suspect that the damage on the transfer cases on thes trucks (compared to the AWD cars) would be significantly less, but I was only mentioning this because two 32" tires are not created equal and it is something to at least consider/understand better. I am not an expert but I would certainly look into this more if there was much of a difference in the two sets of tires.

Michael

Smittty9785 said:
its not a subaru. thats only for the symmertical transfercases in the AWD cars.

If he only planned on being in 2wd. 4wd (or PT on 242s) would be fully locked front and rear with minimal slack and this would and will result in a

1 broken chain
2 snapped driveline
3 broken axle

or D all of the above ;)

Safe bet with any rig is to match tire size. Ah but what do i know?? I got all 4 tires the same.:wierd:

hards91xj said:
Measure the distance :arrowr: AROUND:arrowl: the tire, that is the better way for same size.:thumbup:
This is true, just take a string or strap and wrap it around the center of the tire. Mark where the end meets up with the strap then lay it flat on the ground and measure it with a tape measure. Make sure both tires are at the same pressure though!

Back