• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

measured my driveline angles... now what?

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '01 with a 3" lift, factory single cardan driveshaft, and get driveline vibration at 48-50mph. With a 1" transfer case drop my TC centerline points 5 degrees downhill and my pinion points 10 degrees uphill. When the axle wraps, does it point more downhill or uphill? I want 3 degrees of difference, right? So I either need 2 degrees of shim or 8 lol, depending on which way the axle wraps. Also, where should I be measuring the angle on the axle? I picked a couple flat spots and got about 10 degrees but I'm not completely positive any of them are parallel to the centerline. Thanks!
pinion.jpg

You want the pinion and output shafts parallel. As you accelerate, the axle will rotate clockwise in your picture. Asusming your measurements are good - as you accelerate the pinion angle will increase slightly to maybe 12 or 13 degrees. That gives you a 7 to 8 degree difference. Get a 6 or 8 degree shim and install it with the fat end to the front. This will bring down the pinion angle.

first, use the back of the center section to get your pinion angle. Get measurement, then remove TC drop, remeasure if needed.

Ukraine Train said:
The purpose of the TC drop is to lessen the angle between the driveshaft and TC output, right? What's the maximum recommended angle? I guess if I remove the drop and I'm still under the limit, and the vibes go away then I'm ok, right?

Equal and opposite. Max operating angle on a u-joint is about 6 degrees. But you don't want to run it there as it will wear quickly.

Measure, then correct.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243629744#post243629744

Once you have the angles correct, all will be fine in the world and there will be whirrled peas.

Ron

Back