• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy Leaf Springs

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I installed new leaf spring packs when I put on my new lift about 4 months ago, and this past weekend, one of the leaf packs started making the most annoying squeaking noise on every little bump that I would go over, even on normal street driving.

I originally suspected the bushings or a loose bolt, but everything was tight and the bushings appeared to be okay from what I could see. Even with someone rocking the Jeep back and forth while I looked and felt everything, I could not locate the origin of the noise!

I finally came to the conclusion that it had to be a noise just from the leafs rubbing together when they would "flex" over the bumps. So I did the first logical thing that came to mind and got out the WD-40 can and tried lubing in between the leaf springs. It seemed to help immediately with the noise and it have pretty much gone away, except over big bumps.

My question is: Has anyone ever had the same problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it? Is there a better solution than "opening up a can" of WD-40 on them? Thanks for your help.

lowrange2 said:
Turn the radio up louder.

Eh... I dont know what to tell you short of take it apart and lube it up.

yup, those are about your options. pretty much any lube i can think of that is thin enough to get in there without taking them apart also won't last long. grease is your friend:)

twoksl2 said:
yup, those are about your options. pretty much any lube i can think of that is thin enough to get in there without taking them apart also won't last long. grease is your friend:)

I figured as much. Thanks for all your answers. I'll have to find some time to get in there and lube it up with some grease. I figured the WD-40 would be only a temporary solution, but I was happy I was able to find out where the noise was finally coming from.

Do not GREASE them,it will be even worse!If your missing "buttons",replace them.You can look into liners or I prefer graphite paint,it needs touching up often but doesnt collect dirt!

i've had pretty good luck with grease, you don't want to cake them or anything, but a thin layer does wonders.
most of my experience is with older road cars though, with alot of offroad and mud, then grease might not be all that great, i'm not sure.

my leaf springs are making that squeaking noise as well. it might just be them getting broken in. i just installed the lift like 2 months ago and didn't squeak until i took it on its first wheelin trip. this was like 3 weeks ago and they're not squeaking as bad now, so i'm sure it will go away eventually.

RE 3.5" spring packs btw.

If you have aftermarket shackles with poly bushings that is often the culprit also. Just lube them up. I've noticed that I can go longer in-between lubes if I use synthetic grease.

I painted my bastard packs with graphite slip paint (plow paint). I also placed strips of PTFE between the leaves. (Thin stips of slick plastic)

My leaves are super quiet.

Hale

lowrange2 said:
Turn the radio up louder.

Eh... I dont know what to tell you short of take it apart and lube it up.

x2 noises have become just another thing ive learned to ignore. theres to many to chace and care about. but a loud radio or tires with alot of road noise are a good way to make them all go away.

My Rusty's leafs squeak. After I go through some water the squeaking stops for awhile. They squeak if people get in/out or if you rock the vehicle. I don't notice the squeaking on the road or trail.

If the leafs are already drilled for the antifriction pads, go to a spring shop in your area and ask about replacement pads.

I had a local shop drill out the S10 main and both sides of the Second S10 pack for my bastard pack and install antifriction pads. No squeaks for me.

The pads are around $1 a pop.

My jeep used to do that... Mostly when i had weight. Found out it was my stock shackle hitting the frame ! DOH... Got some re shackles and it was solved.. Hope this helps... I was squeek squeek all the way down the trail....

Leaf Liners or antifriction pads. SOme one once spoke of some pads the bought from Home Depot or Lowes and heated it ip and molded it to the leafs and it works just as good, I think it was 11$ a sheet and he did all leafs. Some kind of plastic... any one remember?

Back