• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 rebuild---total mess up :(

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
so i really screwed myself. finally started to get the aw4 back together this weekend, and i started assembling it with atf +3 rather than the dextron3. i have accepted that ill need new friction plates and band cause they were being soaked in the wrong fluid. but as far as the o-rings and seals go, will i be ok with the ones that have come in contact with the wrong fluid, if they are resoaked in proper dextron3 before assembly?

clean it all off and see how bad they look.

you should be able to use them...some people operate their rigs with synth. and have no problems

The seals should not be greatly affected - and if the clutches were soaking in fluid outside the box, the Dexron II/IIE/III will wash it out in operation.

The problem with ATF +3/+4 is that it has friction modifiers that Dexron does not - and that's what causes the chatter. If you haven't filled the box yet, the concentration of FMs from the seals and clutches that were soaking in the stuff will be low enough to be negligible when you fill with Dexron. As long as you didn't flush out your torque converter with +3/+4, you should have no trouble.

Feel better now?:read:

i do feel better haha, but to feel even better, i decided to replace the friction plates and band, yeh i had to spend a bunch more money but i dont wana ever have to take this thing apart ever again.

Let us all know if you get any slippage or chatter. Was thinking of getting a JY AW4 and rebuilding it to keep as a spare, because my junk has a quarter million miles on it so far. Still no slipping but I want to be ready when the slipping starts.

mikeforte said:
Let us all know if you get any slippage or chatter. Was thinking of getting a JY AW4 and rebuilding it to keep as a spare, because my junk has a quarter million miles on it so far. Still no slipping but I want to be ready when the slipping starts.

Keep the fluid changed and cool, and you should be just fine. So far, I've only had two AW4s die - and it wasn't really their fault...

1) Lost bellhousing screws, and the input shaft and planetary set got cocked in the case badly enough that I needed to saw them out. (~220Kmiles)

2) Fluid line ruptured on the freeway, and I was stuck in high-speed traffic. (~185Kmiles)

Chances are, you get a core and it will be fine internally. Just re-seal it, scrub out the valve body, and make sure there is no varnish buildup on the friction. A seal kit goes for about $100, most places.

Back