• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over heating?

bigboyslimjimbo

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 88' cherokee/wagoneer 4.0 and about two months ago i was having a overheating problem. i then went to replacing stuff. i started with the thermostat and the cap. it still overheated so i replaced the hoses and then the radiator while i had it out i replaced my water pump as well. and then replaced the cap again. after all that it was doing great never even got close to overheating. then about two months later i drove to a concert in atlanta which was about an hour drive. then when i was leaving i got stuck in awful traffic and it overheated again out of nowhere. then i replaced the cap again and refilled the tank, and took it to a shop for them to check it out and they couldnt get it to overheat again and couldnt find any flow problems. so finally im good for about two weeks and then i drive to my huntin club(1nd half hrs) and road it around there and had it idleing and drove it back and got stuck in traffic after i was nearly home and it overheated again. please someone help i cannot figure it out. any thoughts are appreciated.

so if it is the clutch fan what are the symotoms. it seems to be working. im in traffic alot at school and everything else and never have any problems with it getting hot. the pattern seems to be when i take a longer trip and then getting stuck in traffic. please help

curious question:

im looking at an 87 wagoneerXJ, owner says it has a overheating issue.
im aware the XJs in general seem to get quite warm...
would hood vents help the situation, at all?????

Check to see if your auxillary fan is coming on. Mine comes on just above 210. Clutch fan should have some resistance to turning it by hand and should have NO wiggle if you pull front to back on your fan blades. Also should not be covered in oil or caked with dirt on the front where the sensor spring is.
Good luck,
CP

Roland98 said:
curious question:

im looking at an 87 wagoneerXJ, owner says it has a overheating issue.
im aware the XJs in general seem to get quite warm...
would hood vents help the situation, at all?????

Hood vents will lower underhood temps mostly. It will not solve an overheating problem,

Pigpen

my 89 when new would over heat in traffic until i replaced the stock radiator with a 3 row. no problems since.

1. What's the psi pressure rating on your cap? If it's a 13, get a 16. Look into a Volvo cap.
2. Your electric fan isn't coming on at 210-215 (or at all) ?
3. Is your pressure bottle cracked (any pin hole leaks).
4. Have you burped the air out of your system?

That's pretty much it for the simple stuff.

Have you drilled your themosat? I overheated my 87' a few months back... replaced the lower radiator hose because it had a huge gash in it from the over heating pressure... I drilled the thermostat with a 1/16 hole at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock... haven't had a problem overheating in the 3 weeks i've had it back up and running. Try that...

ParadiseXJ said:
1. What's the psi pressure rating on your cap? If it's a 13, get a 16. Look into a Volvo cap.
2. Your electric fan isn't coming on at 210-215 (or at all) ?
3. Is your pressure bottle cracked (any pin hole leaks).
4. Have you burped the air out of your system?

That's pretty much it for the simple stuff.
If the pressure bottle is in fact cracked you should be slowly leaking fluid out of it. Or there is no pressure in the bottle.

If the bottle is messed up, dont go with another plastic one. Ive replaced mine twice, and finally had enough.
Got a metal one. Havent installed it yet, but Im looking forward to not having to mess with it.

Back