• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut CB Antenna?

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 102" whip antenna laying around. I plan on mounting my antenna between the fender and hood, but I don't like the height of the antenna. Is it at all possible to cut the antenna down to a shorter height (around 3-4 ft.)? Or would that just screw it up completely? If I can cut it, is there a certain length it needs to be for proper reception?

yeah, the reason you can havean antenna like a firestik that short is because there is a lot of coiled wire around the fiberglass shaft, making the antenna relatively short, but "electrically" longer

Go to www.firestik.com and read up on CB antennas. While you are there look for a mounting bracket and new antenna. Firestik is a good brand and will hold up to trees and trail conditions.

You CAN cut the antenna, but you've got to know a few things before you do.

As stated in an earlier post, the 102" whip is a quarter wave antenna. That means it's it's 1/4 of the frequency. CB is on the 11 meter band and 102" is roughly 1/4 of that. Cutting not only shortens it to say 1/8 wave but changes how well it'll match your transmitter. If the antenna isn't matched to your transmitter, it'll be less than effective and could cause damage to the radio. If you cut it, it'll be shorter and less effecient, plus you'll have to make sure it's cut to the correct length.

Firesticks are good antennas- just stay away from those with the glittery rubber tips. The metal flakes that makes it glittery will mess with any attempts you make to tune the antenna. Yes, I do know from personal experience.

Get your Ham ticket. 2 meter transcievers are clearer, have greater range and are almost always in range of a repeater in case of emergencies- better than cell phones

Last edited:
^^ That is a no ground antenna, it would work, but you would benifit using the 102" antenna. I have a 102 on my xj, its not that tall.

100_0233.jpg

100_0230.jpg

I like it.

Littlewhitexj said:
I like it.

Yea...but your spotter won't. I used to run a 102, and dumped it after 1 to many close calls with it whipping from side to side and almost catching a spotter, not a way to make friends.

Rev

Back