• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN Tags

Any VIN plate in an American made vehicle after 1987 is located in the dash on the drivers side visible through the windshield. If it is not there, you have a problem (legal problem). Your VIN should also be on you driver's door. There are VIN's located in secret locations all over the vehicle but they are "secret".

Im pretty sure I found my vin number behind my front bumper on my 99 when I took it off. Was on a small sticker right in the middle of the front crossmember.

Didnt have one on my 89, but its 10 years older, and if it had a sticker its long gone. Might be worth a check if you dont have one in the window.

Where were the Jeeps in Greece made? Imported from the states?

I think the manufacturers are putting those stickers on major body parts so they can be traced from junkyards (so law enforcement can see if car was stolen or actually had a 'junk' title issued)

I never looked on my XJ's, but on my gtx and charger they are stamped on radiator support, the rear speaker shelf and a couple other spots. These are used to assist to help track down stolen cars as well as to make sure the car has not been altered incorrectly or altered or repaired with hot parts. These I.D. numbers are a big thing when you get into collector cars. This always bugged me because it sure wouldnt be hard for an unscrupulous person to restamp these numbers. therefore making a car look original and bringing more money. Most thieves are stupid and think if they remove the I.D. tag the car cant be traced.

Back