• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ditching charcoal canister

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I need to use the space that the charcoal canistor resides in on my 89 xj for something else.Was thinking of just connecting the two hose together but question the safety.A little advice please.....

I don't think there's a safety issue but your engine may not run right and you may get a CEL from having it disconnected. Could you not find another place to locate it?

On an 89, you shouldn't have a check engine issue. In fact, I'd doubt it's still working as designed anyhow, they lose effectiveness over time. I'd still relocate it if it were mine however.

No, don't plug them. As you guess, it's part of the vent/vapor recovery system for the fuel tank. If you can't relocate it, hook them together. Check very carefully where the hoses connect to the cannister, one or both of the connections may have a restrictor made into them. If they do, you need to put a similar sizer restriction between the hoses when you hook em together.

While on the subject...do the canisters need to be periodically/preemptively replaced, or should one wait for a related problem code...??

XpedientJ said:
While on the subject...do the canisters need to be periodically/preemptively replaced, or should one wait for a related problem code...??
On a 89 there is no OBD computer to spit out codes. The OBD I did not exist until 91 IIRC.

ok lets pretend here for a moment.....if jeep didn't have to use the charcoal canistor and if it was a perfect world without emissions,would they just run the gas tank vent into the air box like I am considering?I'm still nervous about it so I want to be sure.....Kind of scared of a backfire through the intake igniting the fuel vapors:flame:

outlander said:
ok lets pretend here for a moment.....if jeep didn't have to use the charcoal canistor and if it was a perfect world without emissions,would they just run the gas tank vent into the air box like I am considering?I'm still nervous about it so I want to be sure.....Kind of scared of a backfire through the intake igniting the fuel vapors:flame:
Run it into your header pipe just after the collector :D J/K

outlander said:

I cut the bottom out of my airbox on my 88 MJ and slid the canister in there whole. Truck runs just fine.... But if you have emission inspections, you may have a 'physical' inspection that you would fail then.

Back