• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ cab conversion

xjlander

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for ideas on how some of you have done this.

My project is in its first stages and has been coined "Project Comanchero"

What I am looking for is some constructive criticism, and some pointers or ways to avoid problems during this phase of the build. I will get some photos posted tonight of the progress I've made so far.

Thank you!

Here's a link to my pics, which show quite a bit. The Commanche cab was cut to the seam at the lower rear, which lines up with the XJ floor. The truck cab is higher, so the XJ roof goes to the rear and the back cab is cut down to that height.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/D91800700D29389

Last edited:
RyanM said:
yes it does, copy and paste it lazy sob

Not lazy just computer illeterate. I tried that also, and that didn't work either. I also tried just typing it, and that didn't work for me either. My computer is probably know as much as I do about itself.

I fixed it....working now.

cool it worked. I'm my phone now though.

You're rig looks awesome! Did you use the XJ floor for the bed? Any thought of a tail gate? e

I finally got a replacement roof section(dont ask why),so I'll be starting back on mine now!
cheromanche%20011.jpg

Well, I finally got round to posting some pics of how I am going to do this. So here it is:
The initial cutting of the top:
Roof001.jpg

Aftermath of cutting:
Roof005-1.jpg

Here is the donor section:
axleprogress030.jpg

This is about how it will fit. Only it will be 10" forward:
cabsection002.jpg

Iam using a piece of treadplate to make a bulkhead that wil be fully welded in(added strength for the unibody) as well as a small storage area behind the back seat.

Last edited:
I got started putting it all together today and it went fairly well. The bulkhead really stiffened up the back end of the XJ and wasnt too bad to weld. The Cab is only 25% welded an is very sturdy. I Still have a ton of tacking to do before it is completely solid. I have learned a lot about welding sheet metal. Patience is the key LOL!
This is the bulkhead, it is 16G treadplate.
cabsection011.jpg

The side of the cab. I still have to cut panels out to fill in the gaps. The metal really doesnt warp too bad and some body filler will clean the welds right up.
cabsection012.jpg

The roof is going to be an experiment though. we'll see when the rest of the cab is done.

ya you've already done yourself in .see if you trimmed more out from under the vent you could have dropped it down far enough to cut the whole gutter section out of the MJ and replace it with the cherokee's

from the first one i had
pa140763de6.jpg

pa140765hh9.jpg

see how close to the Xj roof line now.i had the Xj roof sliding into the MJ rear header.

because i didn't extend the Xj gutter and roof far enough i would have had to finish off the corner.
pa140778co0.jpg

2manyToys said:
cool it worked. I'm my phone now though.

You're rig looks awesome! Did you use the XJ floor for the bed? Any thought of a tail gate? e

Yeah, I kept all of the original floor. My rear seat still works. The floor behind the cab was reinforced with square tubing, which matched the height of the lip at the rear of the floor, then covered with a sheet of aluminum that extends to the tube bumper at the rear. I didn't want a tailgate, so never thought about it.

Dave41079 said:
I've been wanting to do this for a while too. I like it a lot. How was the rear body flex before the cage?

Not too noticeable, but you know it's there. I did one run with it before I installed the cage, and the paint was barely dry. The XJ chassis is already pretty flexy, so removing a bunch of structure doesn't help it.

That looks great! I may be able to do something similar to your roof.
You are right about the drip rail, I should have left it longer. It will work fine the way I've done it but you have given me a lot of good ideas. Thanks.
As for the body flex, I think that the treadplate bulkhead will replace a lot of the lost stuctural integrity from removing the XJ roof, but we will see when its ready to go wheelin'

xjlander said:
That looks great! I may be able to do something similar to your roof.
You are right about the drip rail, I should have left it longer. It will work fine the way I've done it but you have given me a lot of good ideas. Thanks.
As for the body flex, I think that the treadplate bulkhead will replace a lot of the lost stuctural integrity from removing the XJ roof, but we will see when its ready to go wheelin'

The tread plate rear wall light help laterally but wont help you longitudinally. You still need to replace the lost connection between the rear corners and the roof. Even a roll bar behind the cab with the supports to the back corners would help with that.

Back