• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine gone, need replacement tip..

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

My friend: XJ 97 Sport, 4,0L - manual transm(AX15):

Case:
-Engine close to end, (single point of no return like a nocking sound) and planning purchase of a replacement (90K) engine.

Question:
-Guess there is no major difference to swap with a 98 model engine...or ?
-Someone done this & have a schedule estimate ( done by y'self estimate at home....)

Last edited:
the 98 engine should be fine,I think the 97 and 98 used the same computer,some one will correct me if i am wrong:) as far as how much time it will take,that depends on how good you are at turning wrenches and how much time you have daily to work on it. i put a 96 engine in my 92 cherokee and it took me about a month and a half,working on it a couple hours a day. I also did the newer model intake manifold upgrade and installed a mopar performance header,and changed the belt routing over to the 96 style,so it took me awhile longer than just a straight engine swap. said all that to say that time will depend on your skill. lots of guys do it in a weekend,also depends if you are working alone or have a knowledgeable buddy to help. i did mine all by myself. Just another thought,might want to mark all the wires/hoses/etc you disconnect so you can put it all back together easily without a lot of guess work. this made the job a lot easier for me!!

1,5 month ??.....Respect :worship: !

I,m familiar with wrenches and have been in the marking business :cool: for a few years ago, so preperation skills schould be no problem.

Do you recommend to change the frost brass-plugs before assemblying the new engine in to the chassi? (and any links to a write up ?)

If thats in bergen norway my suggestion of picking up a golem stroker is probably out of the question :D
It's pretty straight forward, mark and tag all the connectors, while you have it out replace the freeze plugs with brass ones and you might even want to put in a block heater. When removing and reinstalling try not to nick the crankshaft position sensor, it's at the top of the bell housing on the drivers side, held in with two bolts and sends signals to the ecu, break it and the engine is dead.
Remove everything in front, rad, etc, I'd take it down as far as possible.
Easier way is also to rent or buy and engine stand, allows you to swap stuff over while the old engine is still on the hook. I would also replace with NEW, harmonic balancer, idler pulleys, water pump, tstat while you have it out.

I didn't change plugs in the engine I put in my 92,but the motor only had 55,000 miles on it. It might be a good idea if you are putting a higher mileage motor in. I do not have or know of a write up anywhere.

RichP said:
If thats in bergen norway my suggestion of picking up a golem stroker is probably out of the question :D

If it is Europe, Titan Engine's eBay page for their Jeep stroker engine shows they do ship there. Don't know what the the cost is but other people here report good results from their motors. And with the dollar so low it might be less expensive than you think. In fact you and a couple of your buddies could probably pool your savings and buy the whole company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TITA...014QQitemZ330175176678QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Back