• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bilstein shock orientation

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Just received some new Bilstein 5125 series shocks.
I'd guess the valving would be affected if I swap them from "stem up" to "stem down". So to get the 255/70 valving--with the 255 for compression, which way should the shock be oriented? Or does it matter?

It doesnt matter!

compression is compression no matter if it is up or down, it has to do with the orientation of the shim stack and the piston, the compression shim stack is on top of the piston and the rebound is on the bottom of the piston.

So it won't matter if I put the "boot" up, since compression is compression, no matter what end is up or down:dunno:
I'm sure that's wahat you both just said--but I'm feeling "slow" today--thanks!!

no it won't matter as far as valving goes, as the shock compresses the shims on top of the piston flex and allow fluid to flow through the piston at a given rate(dictated by shim thickness), the same goes for rebound but the other side of the piston is active. It is friday, I'm feeling a little slow myself.

Thanks guys, back to the garage.

Back