• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now I Know..Bushwacker and Post 98 XJ's

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
I put Bushwacker fender flares on my 98 xj. They look great...the rear flares didn't look so hot until i put on those gila monster 1/4 guards. anyway..i found out why bushwacker doesn't recommend putting these flares on post 98 models.

i put in washer fluid the other day and lo and bewhold.....my washer res was leaking all over the place. D-OH!! i didn't even think of it. It holds about 1/4 the amount it did, but once you fill it, stand back or it will look like you pissed down your right leg.

i confronted my body shop guy...well my ex body shop guy now..and asked him why he didn't tell me. he said he told me and I said to drill right through it. Now why would I say that. I told he him he needs to fix it or pay for it so we'll see.

anyway, anyone ever try to put a pre98 washer bottle and motor in a 98 xj. I don't see why you can't...if i can find the room.

later

Cipey

A simple solution to prevent this from happening in the first place would be to remove the washer fluid bottle during the flare install so the installer wouldn't drill through it. You should be able to pull it out, dry out the hole area and silicone it, then reinstall the washer res. when the sillyputty is dry.

just put some RTV sealant on the hole and run a screw into it... let it dry and fill the bottle up and it won't leak... 3 dollar fix... and you don't have to bitch at the body man.

I just clamp a piece of flat stock behind where I'm drilling works great saves reseviors

overreaction?

Go to autozone and get some gas tank repair stuff in the tube. That should work well. It's for plastic tanks...

PlasticTankRepair.gif

Last edited:
to answer the older res in newer model.. yes.
I have a pre96 res in the same location it would be in on the older model. cost about $5 and works just fine with the pumps that were in it (the older one that is). hook up the lines, hoses and fill it up, your good.

gregmondro said:
did you hear? We've landed on the moon too.

This is old news :)

i'm sure it is old:eeks1: news and I 'm not the first one to do it (kick me when i?m down why don't ya!!!!:eeks1: ) i almost flipped to the moon. I should have been more careful myself...the installer should have stopped when it began to leak and called me.

you know the old saying, if you want get it right, you have to do it yourself..now only if we had 8 days in a week!

i got the RTV...or mabey i should jyst pull it out and install that snorkel...decisions, decisions!!

thanks

Cipey

'Plastic Welder' epoxy will be much more durable and permanent... And, you will obviously want to replace the self-tappers with pan-head bolt(s) and nuts.

DanMan2k06 said:
jbweld...
Why, its not metal...

Ya, it happens, it also happens when you try to install snorkels on '99s. I tried drilling very carefully, but ended up going in the slightest bit, just took it out and put some RTV on it.

I have a better idea...................... bushwackers suck. If ya wouldnt have put junk on yer junk ya wouldnt have had that problem. Also the bottle dont do ya no real good if you wheel your rig hard. (another secret for you, when your rig is inverted, gravity pulls all the washer fluid out of rear sprayer thus draining it) You just saved yourself the trouble.....

not all of us drive inverted... some of us the windshield washer. mine leaks all on my head if i try to use my rear one...lol... and leaks out the bottom of the fender if i use the front one si don't but some do i'm sure.

I did the other day when I was driving home from NY :) not everyone crawls up rocks at half 2 miles an hour and flip their cars over for fun... And how do you know are bushwackers junk? Do you have them on your jeep?

Why, its not metal...
jbweld is the company, they make tons and tons of adhesives/epoxies

Back