• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ/ZJ/XJ Brakes

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Aight fellas. GOt a brake question for ya i can't seem to find the answer for. I've got all the stuff to do my WJ Steering and brake swap. While I'm at it I think I'm gunna go ahead and do the Rear ZJ disc swap. If i switch the WJ proportioning valve in with the WJ master and booster will they work well with the ZJ brakes? SO in the end I'll have WJ calipers, master cylinder, booster, and proportioning valve, and ZJ rear calipers and disc. SHould this work well?

ANyone got a link to the ZJ convercion while you're here?

Basically what the other guy said... yes it should work great.. here is why.. You are upgrading to a bigger master cyl bore, 2 piston calipers front, and single piston on the rear.. With the proper prop valve you have a balanced system.. Now if you were running say GM calipers in the rear off of a mid 80s car then yes the rears would overpower the fronts, with out the master upgrade.. Its all about balance.. I have done three cherokee's with this set up, and mine personally and its great...

Sounds good. Then Ill install the WJ prop valve unaltered on my cherokee with the WJ Master and booster with WJ calipers in the front and ZJ calipers in the back. I dont know what the hell I'm gunna be able to do with stopping power like that! HMMMM

Well the last one had 32's on it and it locks all four tires right up... nice for powerslides bad for tires on asphalt...

another thing.. do not use the synthetic brake fluid.... just good old dot 3 or 4 will do...

Should work ok. Just completed a ZJ rear disc on my 97 and it all worked out fine, left the stock MC and proportioning valve on the XJ and it stops great. You have the right idea about changing most all components with the swap. I heard that some years can be a PITA.
The only probs on my install was twisting and breaking some hard lines, needed replaced anyway. I also went for the longer soft lines in front (L&R) and the longer soft line in back for axle articulation.

Good Luck!

97CountryXJ said:
Should work ok. Just completed a ZJ rear disc on my 97 and it all worked out fine, left the stock MC and proportioning valve on the XJ and it stops great. You have the right idea about changing most all components with the swap. I heard that some years can be a PITA.
The only probs on my install was twisting and breaking some hard lines, needed replaced anyway. I also went for the longer soft lines in front (L&R) and the longer soft line in back for axle articulation.

Good Luck!

I've got 24" stainless lines for the front and a long stainless line in the back for flex. and from what I read... the WJ master and booster should be very easy to install. since I'm using a WJ prop valve I won't have to use as many adapters to make the brake lines work out right...

Back