• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinker Help Please

Cherokee Kid

NAXJA Forum User
All my blinkers went out about 2 weeks ago, I checked the fuse under the glove box and it seemed fine. Not knowing what to do, I brought it to the mechanic. He fixed it and said all it needed wasa new fuse.

Yesterday, my blinkers all went out again. If it's not the fuse under the glove box, where else would the blinker fuse be? Alos, I just put it new silverstar headlights without upgrading the wiring harness, could this explain why my blinkers are constantly going out?

Thanks.

On my 00' the hazards would come on when the left turn signal was applied (sometimes).

Not the same issue as yours but I would suspect the turn signal switch. Everyone that I know that has a 97+ has had an issue with the turn signal switch.

The switch is $65 and is a dealer only item. It will take about a half an hour to replace. I've done so many now I could do them blindfolded!

Fluid... Its allways the blinker fluid...

If none of your blinkers are working at all, or they get stuck on, my money would be on the flasher solenoid. Had to replace it on mine when they began to stick.

And for the hazards coming on with the left turn signal, that's the turn signal switch (also had it replaced), and mainly a 97+ problem.

Just wondering why the mechanic said it was the fuse when I checked the fuse and it was perfectly fine. I even tried replacing it and nothing happened.
This leads me to believe there is another fuse somewhere other than under the glove box. Under the hood somewhere maybe? Yeah ?

You really should actually look at the silver canister. On my 89, it's in the fusebox. Perhaps in the later years in its a (if one exsists) convience center? It's small, and when its functioning normally you will hear it click and if your hands on it, feel it making and breaking contact.

He may have been calling it fuse when its actually just called a flasher.

on my 89, i have flasher relays for the turn signals and hazzards. dont know about your year.

to find an electrical gremlin, you need to test the curcuit with a meter and take the guess work out.

i dont think the headlights are on the blinker curcuit so the silverstars should not be the problem

also check the blinker sockets for corrosion or damaged

do you have power at the fuse?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm having turn signal issues as of 4:30 a.m. this morning. Push the indicator lever up, the right side works just fine. Push the indicator lever down, the left side stays on solid (no "blink")

Is this most likely the canister solenoid, or a fuse that's specific to one side or the other? Don't want to just start tossing new parts in without some direction of what's going on.

Any input appreciated.

fubar XJ said:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm having turn signal issues as of 4:30 a.m. this morning. Push the indicator lever up, the right side works just fine. Push the indicator lever down, the left side stays on solid (no "blink")

Is this most likely the canister solenoid, or a fuse that's specific to one side or the other? Don't want to just start tossing new parts in without some direction of what's going on.

Any input appreciated.

Solenoid. Will cost ya a couple of bucks at any autoparts store.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Solenoid. Will cost ya a couple of bucks at any autoparts store.

It's just called the turn signal solenoid? Where is it located on the rig, in the fuse box under the hood by the battery?

fubar XJ said:
It's just called the turn signal solenoid? Where is it located on the rig, in the fuse box under the hood by the battery?

Can be called a turn signal solenoid, turn signal flasher, flasher solenoid, flasher relay....all depends on the person you're talking too. Ask for a turn signal flasher and they should know what your talking about.

As for where it's located, what year is your Jeep? On the 97+'s it is located behind the kick pannel that is underneath the steering wheel. On pre 97's, i'm not sure where exactly they are located....it may well be the same spot.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Can be called a turn signal solenoid, turn signal flasher, flasher solenoid, flasher relay....all depends on the person you're talking too. Ask for a turn signal flasher and they should know what your talking about.

As for where it's located, what year is your Jeep? On the 97+'s it is located behind the kick pannel that is underneath the steering wheel. On pre 97's, i'm not sure where exactly they are located....it may well be the same spot.

Yeah, I found the flasher. Turns out the problem was even simpler, burned out rear bulb. Tossed an 1156 in there and it's all good.

fubar XJ said:
Yeah, I found the flasher. Turns out the problem was even simpler, burned out rear bulb. Tossed an 1156 in there and it's all good.

Interesting....usually when a bulb blows the signal blinks really fast.....glad you fixed your problem though.

Back