• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 xj radiator

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone give me an idea on onw long and how much beer is required to swap a radiator out with new??

You might want to consider getting yourself some new rubber block mounts for the top if yours are original or rusty. I broke both of mine and had to get them from a dealer, don't remember how much. A new radiator won't come with new ones. I hit a deer with my xj in march 06 and caused a leaky radiator and punctured condenser. I replaced the radiator myself so I could keep driving it till I put her in the body shop to have it all fixed. I agree with the poster: 2-3 hours and some beer and you're good to go. Remove your electric fan carefully so you don't break anything, mine was shot from the deer hit but it was winter and I left it off for a week with no problems. Luckily my airbag didn't come out either.

Yeah, those rubber block mounts.....

I just drilled through, put some washers, and a bolt countersunk. I put some cushioned strips below the bolt on the radiator's top just incase. Should do the trick, a bit beefier than the stock bolts/nuts already secured in the rubber blocks.

What do ya think?

It would also be a good time to replace the clutch fan if have somewhat high mileage. Stick with the Mopar

Blaine B. said:
Yeah, those rubber block mounts.....

I just drilled through, put some washers, and a bolt countersunk. I put some cushioned strips below the bolt on the radiator's top just incase. Should do the trick, a bit beefier than the stock bolts/nuts already secured in the rubber blocks.

What do ya think?

I'm running a similar setup with no issues whatsoever. I had wondered if the extra vibrations will shorten the rad's life tho...

Fred85 said:
if yours is like mine was, the tranny line will be the biggest pain in the ass

everything else is cake

... if it is an auto...

Pipe cutters, a flair tool, some hose and 4 clamps...

On the vehicle side, cut the line before the coupler. Perform the 1st part of a double flair to the line (it makes a bulge in the end of the line). Slip the hose over it and install 2 clamps. The radiator side is already done, just slip on the hose and double clamp.

The flair helps give the clamps something to work against so the hose won't just pull off.

This is also a Great time to add a tranny cooler if you are so inclined :D

The rest of the proceedure is a piece of cake, just drain the radiator, petcock is on the pass side of the radiator (or just pull the lower hose).
...and remove:
Aux fan
Clutch fan and shroud (my personal favorite!)
Upper radiator support (yes, that thing which goes all the way across the front which screws into the upper grille).
Hoses from the radiator.
If an auto, see above.

Reinstall is reverse of the install.

Ron

Last edited:
Back