• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Child seat tether installation

menos

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '91 4dr that doesn't have the child seat tether points. I managed to find the retrofit hardware part number and have ordered it. (05003422ab)

However I can not find any information about how this actually mounts into the truck. I've heard cargo floor,upper seatbelt mount, ceiling, above the lift gate.......

Has anybody done this retrofit? Preferably with pictures?

Did you order this from the dealer? If so, there are instructions that come with it.

They attach on the cargo floor at the very back corners (or just corner if you need only one). If you look underneath at the corners you will see a dimple where you will drill to install these.

I can get you pictures later tonight if ya need them.

Yes I ordered it from a dealer. Hopefully it will be pretty straightfoward but if you have pictures and it's not too much trouble to get them, I'd appreciate it.

Why can't you just use the seatbelt? Run it throught the back of the carseat? Most kiddie seats show that in their install manual.

Hale

Haleyes said:
Why can't you just use the seatbelt? Run it throught the back of the carseat? Most kiddie seats show that in their install manual.

Hale
you can. I use the tether for added protection. It was recommended in both my child seat manuals.

The car seats are installed with the seatbelts, but the tether adds quite a bit of support/crash resistance for foward facing seats.

Sure they are ok with just the seatbelts. But if there is something that you can do that costs about $20 in parts and increases your kids chance of surviving a serious collision, doesn't it just make sense to do it?

Idiot Wind said:
you can. I use the tether for added protection. It was recommended in both my child seat manuals.

Meah....

You must love your kids more than I love mine.

:D
Hale

sorry my camera's battery died the second after I took this. I can (later) get you closer shots of the actual hooks in the corners and underneath if you wish.

IMGP2539.jpg

I've had some training in child seat installs, the tethers make a big difference in the videos they showed us. They also told us that something like 85% of baby seats are installed incorrectly.

The extra work is worth it. Another tip the makers of these seats suggest is putting your knee into the seat and pressing down hard while you take up any slack it the belts.

Safe Driving!

Blaine B. said:
Is that a ghetto rigged seatbelt tether? lol.
perhaps. I am assuming you mean the one on the right. the slack part is just extra belt that I just shoved back into the seat. As far as how I connected the belt to the seat, well, :dunno: I had to order the belt separate and that was how I could get it to work. I only have 2 months to go and it has to be better than nothing.

Back