• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with brake shoe hold down spring

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
this is for my 92 cherokee with dana 35 axle. i am trying to get the rear brakes put back together,but I can't get the brake shoe hold down spring on. it seems like the anchor pin is not long enough,but they are as long as the old ones. I have the shoes held in place as close to where they are supposed to go as I can get. Is there any tricks I can try? thanks for any help!! Ben

There's a special tool for this, kind of like a screwdriver with a cup on the end, that's used to push the hold-down washer down over the nail (pin) and provides enough traction to turn it. The correct tool is open on the sides, so you can see when the pin goes through the slot in the washer. When it goes in, once you turn it a little, it will usually snap into place. If you're using a socket, you're working blind, and it will take some practice and more tries to catch it.

If you're not stranded without a vehicle, you might want to pop down to some auto parts store and get the right tool. You'll not regret it!

The right tool, and cheap too!

yes there is a tool. ive never used one though

i use plyers. squeeze tight, push hard and twist.

i remember when i bought the rebuild kit, 2 different length pins came in the kit. maybe the last person who did the brakes used the short pins.

I have the tool, I get better results with a pair of channel locks.

I put the ancor pins in, then set the spring on top of them, then smoosh the spring with the plate and channel locks.

thanks for the ideas. I do have the tool,and the jeep isn't my only vehicle,guess I will play with it some more tomorrow morning after work.

The aftermarket brake hardware kits leave a lot to be desired. Pre fit them, take off the rough edges, they will go on eventually.You may have to press the new spring into the shoe a little. I went thru the same thing last week. Now I find out the right front rotor has worn too thin. I think I have a caliper sticking.......

I had the same problem and I had the cap that sits on the spring on backwards, the cap should sit down inside the spring. I like using a pair of pliers, expanding them inside the cap, then push.

Back