• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine sometimes "losing" power

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, my XJ is a 97 and I have a bit of a problem. Occasionally when I will be driving, the Jeep will seemingly lose power to the wheels. If I give it more gas it doesn't solve the problem, the rpms refuse to climb. One of my friends that has been in the jeep while it has done it to me says its like what happens when you're running out of gas. (I don't really know what that feels like because I've never let that happen...and this has happened on a full tank.) It usually does this in bumps and its only really noticeable when going uphill or accelerating. However, if I push in the clutch while this is happening the rpms will climb fine and shoot right up like normal. This leads me to believe (with my very limited automotive knowledge) that it is not an issue with the engine itself. Is it possible that my clutch is slowly going out instead of dieing all at once? One of my friends mentioned something about a clutchplate? What does that do? Thanks for all your help and sorry for the big block of text.

could be clutch slipping. could be cat convertor blocked up. trying starting in second gear.

when you push clucth in and give gas, the engine isnt under load anymore, so it still could be engine issue.

Dest said:
Hi, my XJ is a 97 and I have a bit of a problem. Occasionally when I will be driving, the Jeep will seemingly lose power to the wheels. If I give it more gas it doesn't solve the problem, the rpms refuse to climb. One of my friends that has been in the jeep while it has done it to me says its like what happens when you're running out of gas. (I don't really know what that feels like because I've never let that happen...and this has happened on a full tank.) It usually does this in bumps and its only really noticeable when going uphill or accelerating. However, if I push in the clutch while this is happening the rpms will climb fine and shoot right up like normal. This leads me to believe (with my very limited automotive knowledge) that it is not an issue with the engine itself. Is it possible that my clutch is slowly going out instead of dieing all at once? One of my friends mentioned something about a clutchplate? What does that do? Thanks for all your help and sorry for the big block of text.
I can't offer much insight but I will say I have a loosely related problem with my 99. When I first start it about 50% of the time I will drive 10ft and it will completely cut out. It doesn't die, but I lose all power. It comes back about 4 seconds after that and it's fine for the remainder. I'm leaning towards fuel delivery issue or a TPS. You might consider checking your TPS also.

I am having the same problem right now. I believe it is the fuel filter. A while back my Jeep would randomly die and I couldn't figure it out. Finally replaced the fuel filter (which was full of nasty) and problem went away. Now mine is doing the same as yours. I am going to replace the filter again. I think my new pump is sucking up the dregs...
Good luck.

Thanks, I will wait till it starts acting up again then try starting in second. Also, it's never done it on trails before, or at least I haven't been able to notice.

what size tires are you running? big tires, stock gearing, and 4 wheeling can kill the clutch and pressure plate.

as mentioned, a bad tps may make it feel like things are slipping.

are you able to pull codes or have them read.

its never a bad idea to replace the fuel filter anyway. i dont know where it is located on your year, but on my 89 its easy to replace and cost about $12.

just remembr that pushing in the clutch takes the load off the engine. an engine under no load performs totally different than under load.

could be lotsa things, how many miles are on the jeep?

it could very well be the fuel filter, but on 97's it is built into the fuel pump, so not only is it a PITA to replace (have to drop the tank) but it is also expensive because you have to buy a whole new pump :doh: good ole' Chrysler and their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:

I'll just say its not the clutch. If the clutch was slipping the RPM's would go up but there would be no "pull"/power/acceleration or whatever is your flavor. Coming from a 5.0 Mustang I know what a slipping clutch does.

Dest,
Since it's raining here and I can't bale hay, I might get to swap the filter this evening. I'll let you know if it helps.

Everything is stock on the Jeep, it's got 303k miles...lol. I'm reassured that its most likely not the clutch, but I'd like to solve this problem, and I just bent the...ugh can't remember what its called, but the rod thats not the swaybar in the front...bent it pretty good (sort of "|" to ")" ). So that'll be replaced too...

wow, 303k is pretty good, even for a 4.0 :worship:
a compression test would be a good place to start
if thats good then a full tune up will be a good idea if its been more than 15k since the last one (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, possibly coil)
a bad TPS or CPS could cause the symptoms, but should also throw a check engine light

if your compression is FUBAR it would be a perfect time to start thinking stroker :cheers:

You've got over 300k on it and I bet the fuel filter hasn't been changed if it's that big of a pain. Lucky for me, my '92 has an external on the frame rail. I changed it last night and didn't have any issues this morning driving to work. We'll see...
Since my '92 has only 133k on it, I guess I can look forward to 15 more years of service? SWEET!!

The catalytic converter can also cause intermittent loss of power, depending on the nature of the failure.
I had the problem, once, when the engine (cat) was cold, all was well. As soon as the cat heated up, the internals would warp, cutting off the exhaust. Power would immediately fall off--couldn't hardly get out of its own way.
My experience with clogged fuel filter was missing and back firing do to a lean mixture. The bad cat only caused the engine not to respond to the throttle while under load; no missing, just sluggish.

FoMoCo said:
wow, 303k is pretty good, even for a 4.0 :worship:
a compression test would be a good place to start
if thats good then a full tune up will be a good idea if its been more than 15k since the last one (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, possibly coil)
a bad TPS or CPS could cause the symptoms, but should also throw a check engine light

if your compression is FUBAR it would be a perfect time to start thinking stroker :cheers:

How would I test the compression? Or is this the type of problem I should bring up when I bring it in to get that bar replaced and let them troubleshoot it? How would I test the cat?

xjbubba said:
The catalytic converter can also cause intermittent loss of power, depending on the nature of the failure.
I had the problem, once, when the engine (cat) was cold, all was well. As soon as the cat heated up, the internals would warp, cutting off the exhaust. Power would immediately fall off--couldn't hardly get out of its own way.
My experience with clogged fuel filter was missing and back firing do to a lean mixture. The bad cat only caused the engine not to respond to the throttle while under load; no missing, just sluggish.

This makes it sound like its the cat, because the one time it was REALLY bad I had been driving for a while, so I pulled over and just kinda waited for a while and was able to get it home, but if it was heat related wouldn't it happen on the trails too?

I just bought an XJ over the weekend, so my knowlegde is very limited, but this happend to one of my BMWs. It was a faulty camshaft position sensor. The car couldn't retard the timing properly because it didn't "know" where the camshaft was and occasionally either stuttered or struggled when I was stopped on a hill and went to accelerate. Stomping on the gas just caused more stutter and the CEL to flash. Pushing the clutch in and giving gas made the rpms go up the same way you're explaining.

Does that sound like a similar problem?

Dest said:
How would I test the compression? Or is this the type of problem I should bring up when I bring it in to get that bar replaced and let them troubleshoot it? How would I test the cat?

sorry dude, somehow I missed this post

you can get a compression tester at sears/harbor freight/autoparts store/etc and do it yourself, just pull all the spark plugs out (remember to label the wires) screw the tester into the first hole and crank the engine until the guage peaks (easier and quicker with a buddy to help you, but can be done alone too) record the preassure and repeat for the other cylinders, if you have 10% or less variation from the highest compression cylinder to the lowest you are in good shape. while you have the plugs out you can inspect them to see if they are carbon or oil fouled, melted from detonation, etc. to test the cat wait for it to cool off if you just drove it, then give it a couple whacks with your palm or a rubber mallet and listen for rattling, if it rattles like a coffee can full of ball bearings its toast

jtkratzer said:
I just bought an XJ over the weekend, so my knowlegde is very limited, but this happend to one of my BMWs. It was a faulty camshaft position sensor. The car couldn't retard the timing properly because it didn't "know" where the camshaft was and occasionally either stuttered or struggled when I was stopped on a hill and went to accelerate. Stomping on the gas just caused more stutter and the CEL to flash. Pushing the clutch in and giving gas made the rpms go up the same way you're explaining.

Does that sound like a similar problem?

Did it do this all the time? What is the CEL?

Back