• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding noob....

RShotl

NAXJA Forum User
I want to purchase some used equipment, with a budget of around $500. My first project is to repair the floor on my Jeep.

I see lots of used Lincoln arc welders for really cheap... they are small and look pretty junky.

Should I focus on trying to find some stick welder?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the welding equipment to weld up random things for hobby after I do work on my Jeep.

I am a total noob, any recommended reading?

I don't recommend an arc welder for a noob trying to repair a rusty floor on an XJ.........I don't recommend a "decent" welder try to use an arc welder to repair a rusty floor on an XJ........If you only plan on ever welding sheet metal, a 110V mig will work fine IMO. A kit that allows you to run a shielded gas or a flux core wire will be more versitle for you. If you plan on doing anything bigger than 3/6-1/4 and you will rely on it for safety, a 220V welder is the only way to go IMO. Just my $0.02

Not that this is really OEM Tech... there is a forum for this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Anyway, feva4u and jeeperjohn both hit it right on the nose, IMO. If you're planning on this as the only project the
n a 'cheaper' welder should be sufficient. If you're planning on getting into it and doing other projects, save up a little more cash and purchase a 220V MIG. I'm quite happy with my Millermatic 180, everyone has to start somewhere and that is a great machine to do so.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, and I don't have much cash right now. Altho all I want to build are bumpers with 3/16 or 1/4... would an arc welder work for this?

Check your local Craigslist... used welders sometimes pop up on there for stupidly cheap.

my limited experience says that a 220 arc welder is more than plenty for 3/8 and 1/4. just dont get it 2 hot. ive only welded with an arc welder, never had the joy of using wire.

89xj said:
my limited experience says that a 220 arc welder is more than plenty for 3/8 and 1/4. just dont get it 2 hot. ive only welded with an arc welder, never had the joy of using wire.

Sounds like you were in the same boat as me about 6 months ago. Except the limited knowledge of welding. At least you have that on your side.

I went out and bought a cheapo Clarke MIG 130EN Fan Cooled welder. Works great for welding floor pans that is why I bought it. I only paid 400 for the welder, cart, facemask, and video. Then another 100 or so on a argon/c02 mix shielding gas tank for it. I went to town welding my pans to be rust free. What a time consuming project that was. Worth the effort thou. I already got my money's worth out of my Clarke welder, I will be fabing up a front winch bumper and some sliders when I get some $$$.

My only regrets are that I did not buy a (220v) welder. 110V is not enough consistence voltage for welding, period IMO! Also, I would have like more voltage settings, more speaking of lower voltages settings to do thinner stuff and some aluminum. Other than that I like my Clarke welder, If I had the money I would have a nice Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart. But it did not happen that way.

Hope it helps you out. Good luck.

darjevon said:
I'm in the same boat, and I don't have much cash right now. Altho all I want to build are bumpers with 3/16 or 1/4... would an arc welder work for this?

Check your local Craigslist... used welders sometimes pop up on there for stupidly cheap.
A cheap stick welder would be good enough for building bumpers of 3/16 or 1/4, however, you will probably find yourself wanting to do other projects in the future that would require a wire feed.

Back