• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift question!!!!

its an xj thing

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i got the rear end of the jeep lifted up 3 inches and i am waiting for springs for the front (does anyone have any for sale??? lol) the suspension guy at work told me that i shouldnt do 3 inches cuz i will need new lower control arms and adjustable track bar or i will get alot of...i think he said bumpstop steering, but i could be wrong, i dont know the suspension lingo very well. anyways, do i need this stuff to start out with or am i ok with getting it done later? i dont want to mess anything up so any help would be greatly appriciated.

matt-

patience dude. i can give you 2 different answers. 1) yes you can do a 3" lift. and finish adding stuff later. people do it all the time.

2) if you really wanna see what people are running, use google to search for lift companies like rubicon express, rough country, skyjacker, etc..etc..etc.. and see what they sell with their kits.

I've gone over 20,000 miles with a 3" lift and the stock trackbar. No problems at all. I did change lower control arms, but but a lot of people don't.

3" on stock control arms...did do an adj. trac bar per the advice of another user on here. No issues to date. Been running this for about 8K so far, almost all highway.

i bought mine with 3 inch lift. and it has stock trac bar, and stock lower control arms. i think though the lower control arms should be changed to ones a little longer, don't remember though what the recommended length for lower control arm on 3 inch lift

edit: i found the website, http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html its yuccaman's website, a guy one here. but scroll down and and it says for 3 inch lift that control arm length should be 16" and stock is 15.75"

Last edited:
I just installed a 3" lift 2 weekends ago, after alot of research and some helpful advice from Jeep friends. I didn't add anything but the leaf springs and coils, I did replace the sway bar grommets because the lift put it at a higher angle, and the old grommets were worn out. The XJ rides and drives just as good as it did before the lift. Add stuff later if you find you need it.

Agreed, you can go without adj. trackbar and lca's. I have had mine lifted for about 2 mos. It drives good. I even have the lca sitting a box, just not motivated to install them.

you can go without both, but i would concider upgrading to both down the road.

why? because the axle is not centered after a 3" lift. should it be?, yes.
will it cause problems? possibly. it could cause premature control arm bushing wear/deform. some have rported front end shake/shimmy or DW and an adjustable TB cured it. plus, IMHO, it looks cheesy and half assed to have the front axle not centered.

with 3" lift, lower control arms should be alittle longer. can you get away with stock length? yes, caster will still be with in its limit. a good reason to upgrade to aftermarket lower arms is because of there thickness/stiffness. the lower arms are now at an angle instead of flat. aftermarket arms will greatly improve ride quality.

running stock lowers and track bar on 3.5 inches, only issue I had was vibes and fixed that with shims, however I just bought the LCA's because I intend to go higher in the future........

Skyjacker 3" with stock trackbar, no relocation bracket. Just Skyjacker LCA's

yeah, when i had 3.5" i ran the stock track bar (went adjustable with 4.5") but i did drill a new hole for the track bar in the lower bracket (on axle) to maintain proper axle position, i believe the new hole was about an inch toward enter and i ran it that way for a year and a half with no problems.

Yes you can run it w/o new LCAs or a new trackbar. And theres a good chance you'll be perfectly happy with it. If not, add more stuff down the road.

wagonwheel said:
i think you would probably experience vibes and death wobble with those stock LCAs and stock trackbar

on a 3 inch lift? i know you wont experience dw because of the lower control arms and trackbar.

Ive lifted 5 differnet cherokees 3 inches with just coils and leaves... only problem is if youve got any, I MEAN ANY sign of wobble in your front end it will only get 10 times worse with this type of lifting...

my .02

centralmax said:
Ive lifted 5 differnet cherokees 3 inches with just coils and leaves... only problem is if youve got any, I MEAN ANY sign of wobble in your front end it will only get 10 times worse with this type of lifting...

my .02

i had hardcore wobble with just 3" leaves and coils but it was from the previous owner went too long without rotating the wheels and didn't have them balanced.

Back