• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chasing starting demons

esoxhntr

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ

Over the wknd my jeep failed to start after it had been sitting for three days. It would crank, I could hear the pump energizing and smell fuel the plugs so I assumed fuel was fine and the problem was no spark. Unfortunately I did not test for it. Replaced coil, cap & rotor, and wires.. still no go. Rain forced me to give up and get it towed and of course the truck started at the shop. They said it was flooded which seems reasonable after all the starting attempts (I realize now that holding the throttle at WOT during cranking will turn off fuel). Now I'm not sure if the parts I threw at it fixed the problem and the flooded motor was a byproduct. There was no CEL but their scanner pulled code 505 which they said is a fast idle valve or Idle Speed Control Motor. I was under the impression a pooched ISC would result in a rough idle and difficulty remaining running but not a no-start situation. I'll replace the ISC anyway.

After doing some reading here, I've found that the crank position sensor can also be the culprit and can cause intermittent problems as can the neutral start switch. Is there anything else that can cause this?

I should add that I had a similar no-start situation about a year ago. I came back to the truck 5-6 hours later and it fired right up. So I completely swept it under the rug (mistake I know) and forgot about it.. till this wknd of course.

I've also noticed that the Jeep starts much much easier in the winter cold than in the summer. This doesn't seem normal to me.

Back