• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor swaping ????'s

86xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone... im kind of new to this site, and dunno if i even posted this in the right section so sorry if it isn't .... anyways my question is i have and 86 XJ and i picked it up from a buddy of mine who put in a GM 3.4L crate motor, and i ended up tearing it out and just freshning it up a little with new intake and carb and little things.... so here i am 4 months later, and with a bent rod in the engine, didn't even make it to one trail this year... now i want to fuel inject the thing cuz im tired of carb's... so my main question is what would be the best motor for my XJ and not to exspensive, and will be durable, and longer lasting than my 3.4L... and obvisouly as simple as possible....

thanks
wes

1) You probably should have posted this in "Mod Tech" - this isn't really a "fabrication" issue, since you originally had a V6-60 option anyhow...

Now that that's out of the way...

2) Do you have any idea how you bent a rod? That usually takes a fair bit of work, hydrolocking, or a defective rod casting. While the 2.8L was underpowered and leaked like a sieve, the 3.1L was a good engine (I had one in a 1992 Corsica for a few years...) and the 3.4 was just a bit better.

Fuel injection should be an easy conversion - just get all the electronics out of a FI 3.1 or 3.4 setup (shouldn't matter what body,) and put in the appropriate inejctors for your engine size. Alternatively, check aftermarket FI setups (I think Howell makes a set that will work,) or, if you're not afraid to learn something, check out the MegaSquirt FI setup - which is a DIY fuel injection setup that has gotten good reports from the field.

Review your plan and your options, and we'll try to help you once you solidify your ideas a little more. "Best engine, durable, and longer-lasting" is leaving a fair bit of wide-open territory - I could build a Briggs & Stratton that would be durable and longer-lasting...

5-90

Back