• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem still exists.

ChairOhKey

NAXJA Forum User
I thought a new CPS would fix it and for a while I thought it did, but now my Jeep is starting to show signs that it doesn't want to start again.

Initial problem:
When warm the engine would crank, but wouldn't start. If I let it cool for say 20 minutes or so I could barely get it to start, but it would gurgle its way to turning over and then after that it would start fine for a while. Trying to start it in neutral did nothing so I doubt it's the NSS.

Currently it is showing that it's slow to start when warm again and it's also doing the same gurgling it did before. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's happening more and more frequently now. It hasn't failed to start yet...

I have replaced spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, tested the starter, and just recently replaced the CPS. The spark plug wires are a year old. Battery is two and the terminals are fine. I have also had it scanned for codes and came up with nothing. New catalytic converter too.

One other problem is that my temperature gauge isn't working right anymore. It's been like this for as long as I've had this problem. Sometimes the temp will register and it will go back to 210 only to go back to 100 or whatever the bottom number is a few minutes later. Sometimes it'll also bounce around but never go higher then 210. Most of the times it doesn't work though. Would this have any effect?

BTW I have a '97 with the 4.0L.

ChairOhKey said:
One other problem is that my temperature gauge isn't working right anymore. It's been like this for as long as I've had this problem. Sometimes the temp will register and it will go back to 210 only to go back to 100 or whatever the bottom number is a few minutes later. Sometimes it'll also bounce around but never go higher then 210. Most of the times it doesn't work though. Would this have any effect?

BTW I have a '97 with the 4.0L.

I'm wondering if your coolant temp sensor is going bad. Mine went (and sometimes still does) go through this same spurt that you describe. I'm wondering if the coolant temp sensor is lieing to the computer, and the reason it's struggling to start is because the computer is trying to adjust the air/fuel mixture for what it thinks are the current conditions. The reason it would be struggling is because it's running either rich or lean (due to the sensor telling a lie).

I think Sport is right, you need to fix the temp sender issue first, get the puter getting the right signal and than go from there.

Autozone gave me the wrong effing part again. I don't even know why I bother with them. It says the part works on their site, but I've checked Napa, Schucks and their connector matches the OE while Autozone's is different.

Autozone:
wl2su326003.jpg

Napa:
501978.jpg

It does look easy to replace. Do I have to drain any coolant or wait till the engine is cool?

wait till it cools. if you drove the jeep to get the part, next time look at the part in the parking lot to see if it is the right one, especially the wiring harness.

Back