• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

window problems

lamburg

NAXJA Forum User
First off I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. At the most random times my windows don't want to roll down for my passengers. I can roll the windows down for them and if I turn the window lock on then off a couple times they will start working again. Is there a fuse or something that could be messing up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I don't have an answer other than to say it will only get worse. On my 97 XJ, that started a few years ago, but only for the front passenger door, then the one-touch feature stopped working on the drivers side last year, but I can still roll it up and down fine, and now I can't roll down the right rear, but the right rear door can. I suspect corroded connections, but never have the time to pull off the door panels to check it out, just not a priority.

Most likely the switch or it's connection is going bad.

I had a similar problem on my '99. Finally pulled off the driver's door panel and replaced the window/lock/mirror control and sprayed down all the connections with electronics cleaner. Took me all of a half an hour. Works good as new now!

Dave

I have the same issue. My drivers controls always work. My passengers (front or rear) usually don't work. Sometimes they will though. Anyway, I read in a post a while back that there is some wire that goes bad or something to this effect near the left foot of the driver down behind that kick panel. Anyway, it's worth a search because someone has come up with a fix for this problem.

Unless you have small children (or big ones that act that way ;)), a lot of folks simply bypass the switch.

Saudade said:
Unless you have small children (or big ones that act that way ;)), a lot of folks simply bypass the switch.

i am running a direct power to them on mine they dont wanna work otherwise. and this is only a toy so it doesnt bother me any as long as they work.

I don't know specifically what the problem is, but I know that the problem is located somewhere behind the driver's side door panel. Mine does the same thing. A quick whack with my left leg sometimes fixes it.

I removed the door panel the other day and found that when I moved the wires going into the control module it would begin working again. I sprayed everything out with electronic duster and tried to reroute the wires a little so they would not go into the same position. It worked for a little while and quit again.

Where do you buy new control modules and how much do they cost?

I have the same problem with mine happening right now. It was working intermitently from the other doors until I pulled off the driver's door panel to adjust my tweeter and then they went completely out from the passenger doors.

Mine is doing the same thing. Sounds like a 97+ problem. Mine is a 99.

I think I'll look at the wires on the drivers door. It could be something as simple as a wire grounding out when it shouldn't. If thats the case, electrical tape will be a quick fix.

Same problem on my 2000 limited.

when they get stuck "up" it is a hastle, but when they get stuck "down" it can be a problem. I have had both happen to me. Mine almost always work when it is very humid or raining which leads me to think it has something to do with connections.

I have a 99 mine did the same thing, the window lock on off switch trick doesnt work anymore and my door locks are starting to do the same weird things. i ohmed out the switch its the master control switch, which when i priced it was like 170 for the master switch. If you can find it at a junk yard your lucky because it is a common problem. Either deal with it or fork up the money but its the window/ door lock master switch take door panel off take of harness 3 bolts and put it back together.

replace the drives side power window/door lock module. i hear they are quite expensive from the dealership 150-200$. I got one from ebay for about 50$. The child lock switch sucks and gets stuck in the child lock mode. I had/have a weird problem with mine where the passenger window goes down no prob from either switch, but refuses to go up. got a FSM, figured out the wiring diagram and contrary to what the dealership guy told me the window motors are not case grounded motors. the motor takes 12v on one lead and ground on the 2nd to go one way, and ground on the 1st and 12v on the 2nd to go the other way. i had voltage on both so the dealership told me to replace the motor. turns out he was wrong and the problem im having is the lack of the 2nd wire being a ground when trying to roll the window up. time to get a relay from RDOschak.

as for you, bypass the child lockout switch, or buy a new switch module from ebay or a dealership. really an easy fix.

What the F was Jeep thinking!!!!!
The new models 97 and up are plastic nightmares, and lots of electrical issues.
Fuckin cheap bastads!!!
Lets not forget the stupid air bag switch in late 94. With the shitty ass steering columns.
Stick with the older XJ's 91 to 93. Those were the best solid years.
I regret eva getting my 97!

pulled off the driver's door panel and fooled around with the connectors. It seems they are not fitting in tightly and the top one is causing the problem as it moves in and out of the socket.

thewrath said:
replace the drives side power window/door lock module. i hear they are quite expensive from the dealership 150-200$. I got one from ebay for about 50$........

I've had a few of my electrical components start to go bad on my '98, so I've been picking up pieces on Ebay as they show up. At least I'll have spares ready when (not if), I need them. So far I've got all but the RR door lock/acuator stashed away.

I also got a spare driver's side master control switch on Ebay for $30.00. I still haven't had to use it, but the "down lock" window feature doesn't work on my original one. [knockonwood] Luckily everything else works [/knockonwood]

Be sure to compare prices on your favor Mopar parts site too. I've seen some used power door lock actuators go for more on Ebay, than I could have bought new....

Back