• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS light

EVOKIN

NAXJA Forum User
Hello to all members here. I'm from New Jersey, I need help on my ABS brakes.

I have a 2000 XJ Sport with D35.

My problem started when my wife was driving it to her friend's house and the rear diff lock up (due to low fluid, partly my fault) and had to have it replaced. That shop screw me over (because I wasn't there). They replaced it with a set of used rusted leaf spring, some cheap shocks and the rear e-brake cable is missing the on the driver side.

My ABS come on after I reached 5-10 mph and it stays on during the whole time. After I shut her down and restart, it will be off until I drive pass that 5-10 mph mark again.

Could this be cause by a sensor in the rear drum (If there's one, I'm not sure)or the E-brake cable?

Thanks in advance to all reponses.

~Kin

EVOKIN said:
Could this be cause by a sensor in the rear drum (If there's one, I'm not sure)or the E-brake cable?

There's no sensor in the drum - if you look at the D35 (and my memory is correct), you should be able to see the sensors mounted on top of the axle tube. There'll be a hole in the backing plate for the drum to let them poke in, but they (and their wiring) should be visible without tearing apart the drum. The handbrake should not cause the ABS light to illuminate.

Check that the sensors are in alignment with the tone rings; it's possible that one (or both) were somehow nudged during the work, though I'm not quite sure how they'd manage that. Also make sure that you actually have tone rings on the rear: if they used a non-ABS axle, you won't.

casm, thanks for the info, I'll look into the axle tube and check for that hole near the backing plate.

Btw, can anyone post a picture of your stock D35 axle so I can do a comparison.

Thanks a million, guys.

~Kin

Back