• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running hot, burnin oil....mystery fix?

POSXJGuy

NAXJA Forum User
1993 4.0 / 169K miles / POS

So I was running just past the 210 mark on my temp gauge and it seemed my xj was burnin oil pretty consistently for the last year.

I changed the thermostat to a basic cheapo, no frills (not the heavy duty) standt 195 deg. and refilled with the correct ration of water and coolant, Peak Premixed stuff.

Now my xj runs at 195 consistently, even in hot weather and a/c on, and when i went to check the oil level as I am now used to doing. It seems that the engine has stopped burning the qty of oil that it had been using previously. sure in california we don't typically get the kind of heat other folks get but last week was damn hot , over 100 for a few days straight. (we broke 50 year records...wow)

Question is....could this be from the lower temps? It was like a miraculous healing.

I was used to dropping in half to 3/4 quart every 2-3 weeks and now it sits right at the mark and stays there. I had leaks before and that has been fixed for the last year so I don't attribute it to any leaks. (did the rear main, oil pan, oil filter housing etc...)

Werid stuff. Maybe a little elf with an oil can is running around my garage filling it for me. I did wish for once of those for xmas last year. Maybe he finally arrived.

The lord works in mysterious ways...

Back