• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case filler plug...

CDX74

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone tell me what size of allen key (or allen wrench in the US) i need to remove the filler plug (and drain plug) on my '99 NP231?

the biggest i have is a 3/8 and it's a bit too loose, i don't want to strip the hole or anything like that, and i couldn't break it out easily... :( i went along to sears and the biggest they had was 10mm i think, but that was in a $20 set.

i think it may be a 12mm allen. have any bolts lying around you can use? maybe you can find one that will fit on there and use a crescent wrench on it. better yet, welt a bolt that fits onto a scrap piece of steel bar.

i know, very sanford and sons... i live in the ghetto.

I have a 2000 XJ with the NP231 and mine was a 10mm allen head. a 3/8" is 9.525mm if you do the math, so yes, you where off in size by ~.47mm. I went out and bought a set of Stanley allen heads from Wal-Mart for $10 and the 10mm was in there. the bolt (if its still called that) is in there tight but came out very smoothly. i then used my 3/8 to reinstall and unscrew and reinstall it to see if worked too, it worked great too... no stripping at all. moral of the story is... its risky ... but it worked fine for me.. albeit.. it may not have worked had i used it on the initial amount of force necessary to break it loose, especially if yours is corroded in there.

rocknxj said:
The NP231 case plugs are 10mm. I bought a cheap 2 dollar 3/8" drive 10mm allen socket and it worked like a charm.
x2, AZ or Advanced should have just the drive allen

edit. just realized this is a year old :D

Back