• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter/Tranny work?

Rasty1

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a 99 XJ and putting a 4.6 stroker in it. Got it with 78K miles and was going to work on the tranny and TQ with the engine out of the jeep.
I wanted to know if anyone here has done any work or had it done on their auto tranny, like clutches, pump, etc and what if anything are people doing with their torque convertors for rock crawling?
Thanks for any input.

The AW4 is an excellent tranny as it is. There is a mod you can do to give you manual control of what gear you are in and torque convertor lockup. I am sorry I don't have a link but a search should quickly locate it. IMO this mod is all you should need to do. If you need a rebuild, there should be a "heavy duty" rebuild kit available. If you do the work yourself, I recommend getting as many replacement parts as possible such as bearings etc. to ensure long term reliability. If the tranny does not exhibit any symptoms of needing a rebuild, I wouldn't bother with anything more than the aforementioned mod. The AW4 like I said is a very reliable tranny. Mine has 186K+ under extremely harsh conditions with no problems at all.

This is what I have done with my MJ. The tranny wasn't shifting on its own, so I rigged this up. I clipped the wires from the TCU plug, and just soldered these on. It works great (as far as I can tell) and since I don't have gears (still at 3.55s with 34"s) I can leave it in a certain gear for longer, or lock and unlock the torque converter as necessary.

TrannySchematic.jpg

Back