• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internal to External with maybe an issue?

muddshutter

NAXJA Forum User
So, just like many of you out there, i too am going from an internal slave to an external on a 91 AX-15.

I have all the parts and i am about done with the work when my friend brings his 98 Jeep Wrangler over to add a Long Arm Kit.

He removes his AX-15 and i its external as well. So i look at it, to make sure that i am doing mine correctly and notice something. He has a metal sleeve that covers his output shaft that the bearing rides on. Mine is void of this sleeve?

So i go to the dealer and i can get one for $200+, its the plate and sleeve together and fill fit right in. Without it, the bearing seems very loose. With the sleeve, it seems tight.

I read MANY older posts about the swap, but no one addresses this problem?
Any ideas on this? Do i need to buy the sleeve? Can i go external without this sleeve? Anyone's knowledge would be GREAT.

You talking about the brass bushing inside the crankshaft ?

im thinking you meant input shaft??

the front bearing retainer on the external has this tube that the t/o bearing has to ride on. you need this part. the tube and bearing retainer cover are one piece.

Sounds like they might have changed the front bearing retainer.

The sleeve will provide a stationary surface for the T/O bearing to ride upon - rather than the transmission input shaft - and should serve to reduce wear on the input shaft and throwout bearing ID.

Is it necessary? I'm not sure - but there are sound engineering reasons for having it, and I seem to recall seeing it in most external slave setups I've worked on...

5-90

Back