• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whistle when slowing down

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Searched and didn't really see anything pertaining to my latest issue....

Noticed tonight on my way home, that right before I come to a stop, I get this interesting "whistle" type noise, and it only happens RIGHT as i'm about to come to a stop. It doesn't to it the entire time i'm slowing down....just right before I stop.

To clarify a few things, the A/C is off (I know what that whistle sounds like), i'm almost positive this is a front end deal. The best way to describe this whistle, it sounds just like a bottle rocket going off....only not nearly as loud, or high pitched, but it follows the same "tone"

Also note, I havent really checked anything of the obvious (pulley's, vac lines, etc etc) seeing as how I didnt get home till well after midnight, and i'm too tired to mess with it till morning. I plan on checking all the pulleys, the belt, vac lines, and all that stuff that I did turn up in a quick search on here, just to try to narrow it down some. I just thought i'd post up and see if anybody else could relate and maybe steer me in one direction over another.

Yall haven't let me down yet when it comes to getting info, which is what I love about this place.

So as usual, thanks in advance for the advice.

Just clicked 100K a couple of days ago....so I guess it's right on que for something to break....that and I havent had to really "fix" anything in several months, so I guess i'm well overdue.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Searched and didn't really see anything pertaining to my latest issue....

Noticed tonight on my way home, that right before I come to a stop, I get this interesting "whistle" type noise, and it only happens RIGHT as i'm about to come to a stop. It doesn't to it the entire time i'm slowing down....just right before I stop.

To clarify a few things, the A/C is off (I know what that whistle sounds like), i'm almost positive this is a front end deal. The best way to describe this whistle, it sounds just like a bottle rocket going off....only not nearly as loud, or high pitched, but it follows the same "tone"

Also note, I havent really checked anything of the obvious (pulley's, vac lines, etc etc) seeing as how I didnt get home till well after midnight, and i'm too tired to mess with it till morning. I plan on checking all the pulleys, the belt, vac lines, and all that stuff that I did turn up in a quick search on here, just to try to narrow it down some. I just thought i'd post up and see if anybody else could relate and maybe steer me in one direction over another.

Yall haven't let me down yet when it comes to getting info, which is what I love about this place.

So as usual, thanks in advance for the advice.

Just clicked 100K a couple of days ago....so I guess it's right on que for something to break....that and I havent had to really "fix" anything in several months, so I guess i'm well overdue.
I have had the same problem with my 96 xj, noticed it only does it after it is warmed up. I took it out muddin and after collecting enough mud to redo my yard,I haven't heard the sound any more. Maybe a vacum leak?I'm at a loss ,as I dont know what it is.

Actually, this reminded me to post the video I took of it a few weeks ago. Just got back from a 300 mile highway trip and didn't hear it, however on the 70 mile highway trip to or from school, it will do it as soon as I slow down getting off the highway.

the video sounds like brakes to me.

whatevah said:
the video sounds like brakes to me.

After tracking it for over a month now, thats about the only thing I can figure it out to be....i've just never heard brakes make that kind of noise before. What was originaly making me think other than the brakes was the fact I can coast to a stop with out even using the brakes and it will still make the noise. While I know the pads are in constant contact with the rotors, it still puzzles me.

Guess I need to pull the wheels off and have a look see...:eyes:

I agree with farmfreakjeep: check the power brake vacuum assist unit. Sounds like it is just starting to go south on you. Try putting the car in park with the motor running and depress the brake pedal. Try depressing the pedal with your hand with your ear close to the pedal. If you detect the whistle, it's most likely your power vacuum assist unit. The whistle will get more consistent as the vacuum leak grows over time. A rebuilt unit runs about $120 at NAPA. You do not have to buy the master brake cylinder, but you can get both as one unit for about $25 more as I remember. I had not replaced one until a couple of months ago. Took me about two hours to remove the defective unit, replace it, and bleed the brakes. I did not replace the master brake cylinder this time around.

Back