• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242'S AND LIFT KITS?

opie1

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 89 limited 4.0 with a np242 t-case. I want to lift it 4.5 inches and put 33-12.5's on it. I've heard and read alot of things saying that np242's aren't what you want. Not cause they're junk but there just isn't any aftermarket parts out there from them. What should I do. Should I swap it out or will it be fine.

Mines been fine, re1801 hack and tap, 4.5" and 32's, almost 2 years,plenty offroad.

What "aftermarket" parts do you think you will need for your 242? Granted, an Atlas would be a problem, but that's about it. An H&T, either DIY or prof. installed (Tom Woods) will take care of your SYE needs. There are plenty of skids that will fit the 242, including T&Ts Bellypan. I don't know what else you might want?

The 242 will not impact the "lift" at all. I like mine for DD--the FT option is great in the winter. I vote keep it.

Don't believe the hype.

I've been running my 242 for 12 years, with various lift kits, and even an 8.8 in the last 4 years. I kept the stock driveshafts for all but 1 of them, and had little if any vibes (I believed the hype, and need a reason to spend money)

You should be just fine at 4.5" on your 89. Older models seem more resistant to vibes, as you will see. If you do get them, a simple TC drop will most likely alleviate it (see GoJeep's site to make your own)

TC Skids vary, but IIRC, most of them hang lower than the 231 because the case hangs down lower. I ran a Skid row without problems.

Hope this helps, and hope to see you on the trails!

John

Back