• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driveline angles

XJ5

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing my 2" which is based on rocklizard's writeup. I have a slight vibe when accelerating above 30. I measured the angles and got 5 degrees at the output shaft and 9 degrees at the pinion. Could I fix this with shims? Would like to avoid a tc drop if possible. Also, I measured 4 degrees caster in the front and 1/8" toe-in. How big of a LCA shim do you think I'll need to get the caster back to spec? Thanks

You should be able to fix the vibes with shims. With no SYE you want the output shaft and the pinion to be parallel). However, with leaf springs, there will be some wrap, so it is ideal for the pinion to be 1-2* lower.

The front really shouldn't take much, many run a BB without even messing with shims. Generally this adjustment is a battle between caster and pinion angle, pinion angle usually wins or you will get vibes (unless you have lock out hubs or an open diff and disco axle). This isn't as big of a deal at 2", but if you adjust the pinion angle, the caster shouldn't be too far off.

So I take it I need a 2 degree shim to get the rear pinion within 1-2 degrees of the output shaft? And does anyone know the range for caster angle, don't you want atleast 5-6 degrees in the front, depending on pinion angle?

Back