• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building up a 98 from stock. Need to know if i'm missing anything important

98XJLimitedNateWV

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I just got myself a 98 XJ Limited with 152,000 miles. It's a daily driver, it is an automatic, NP242 TC, 8.25 Rear end. I've got a list of things I've decided on but I'm still open to suggestions on those. I want to know if there is anything else I really need to make a capable rig. I'm not going to be doing anything too crazy off road because like I said it is my DD so I can't afford to break it too bad. First upgrade will be a Rusty's 3" Lift with springs and Dick Cepak FC-II 31X10.50 tires on AR767 wheels. Rusty has a "combo" on the lift, wheels, and tires for a little over a grand which seems like a good price to me. I know everyone has opinions on Rusty and I appreciate that, but that kit is in my price range and I know to call my order in and not place it online so I'm going to take my chances. I'll be ordering that the first of the week. The rest of my list is as follows...

Mile Marker E9000 Winch
Mile Marker Winch Accessory Kit
JCR Offroad Cherokee Front Winch Bumber
JCR Offroad Stage 2 Rock Sliders
JCR Offroad Cherokee Stage 2 Rear Bumper
KC HiLiTES 6" Round SlimLite Series Fog 100W
Hi-Lift Jack All-Cast Iron 48" Red Jack
Hi-Lift Handle Keeper in Black
JKS Quicker Disconnects

I know I still need some skid plates, but I wasn't sure which would be most important to start with.

So experts, tell me what you think of my plans and tell me what I'm missing.

Last edited:
Ya know, if you are just starting out, I would highly recommend buying a welder, and a few other tools, and build your own bumpers and sliders. You will probably come out even or maybe even ahead, and when you are done, you will have a free welder.

You have most of the bases covered.

Be prepared for immense shipping charges from Rusty. Factor that into your costs before you decide on the package. Check out 4wd.com for tire/wheel packages. I think they'll do lift packages if you call (don't quote me on that).

As for skids, start with diffs, then t-case, engine/front end, gas. (IMHO)

I started my 98' the same way, only without knowledge of this forum. I started with rusty's stuff and as time has passed I am realizing my rustys stuff doesn't compare with Rubicon Express parts. The RE parts are far supperior and they shipp fast and are priced fair. You have your bases covered as far as the concept but do yourself a favor and go with Rubicon, you will thank yourself in the long run.

I checked out 4wd.com like you suggested and can get the Skyjacker 3" standard lift that includes the lower links and a trackbar relocation bracket that the Rusty's kit doesn't have. The tires would be the BFG AT KOs which everyone here loves and Pro Comp series 97 wheels. The price comes to within about $40 and I think it would be a better deal overall.

and I know RE stuff is great, but for the 3.5" super-flex kit with full springs you are talking $1000 and that doesn't include shocks. That's just out of my budget at the moment. If I would do that I would have to hold off on the wheels and tires.

try www.redrock4x4.com

i got my RE3.5 kit from there a month or so ago. $800 with shocks included. and also free shipping. can't really beat that.
or jeepinoutfitters.com. free shipping on RE stuff there too im pretty sure.

good luck.

wow that is a really good deal on the RE3.5 kit...but I still don't think I can find wheels and tires for $600 shipped...I guess I could always look around locally for them and save shipping.

yeah definitely look around locally. i bought my wheels and tires from a local dude. i got 5 32" kumho mts on cragar soft 8s for 450. they had real good tread too...plus the 5th which was brand new. so definitely look around on some local clubs and boards and stuff. and don't forget craigslist..theres always good stuff on there.

Why not keep the stock rims for now with the 31". I did with my 98 until I went higher and got 33". This will give you some extra $$ for the lift/other mods.

I did infact do just that. well sort of, I got a set of used ATs with jeep steelies. Here is a picture of what I've got now.

pinch930004.jpg

pinch930001.jpg

Good call with RE. I have the 3" Skycrapper pkg. The shocks are rusting, but still holding up very well performance wise. The full packs are also rusting, and a little saggy.

Back