• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap 3" prospect..

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at lift kits and realizing that there is no way I'm dropping 700 on a 3" kit. I don't make enough.
The rig right now: 98 4.0 AW4 231 8.25 / 30x9.5s
So here is my idea -
S-10 bastard packs ought to net 2.5-3" on a 98 (4" on the earlier models.. is this right?)
V8 ZJ coils for 1" + ACOS spacers = 2.75" adjustable to even rake
1" Tcase drop crossmember (Rustys sells one - any experience?)
OME shocks or Bilsteins
Stainless brake lines - Rubicon Express?

Has anyone done a similar build / know anything about a similar build and which seemingly minor points turned into nightmares? Its my DD and only so this would have to be weekend-doable if its going to happen...

-Tom

yossarian19 said:
I'm looking at lift kits and realizing that there is no way I'm dropping 700 on a 3" kit. I don't make enough.
So here is my idea -
S-10 bastard packs ought to net 2.5-3" on a 98 (4" on the earlier models.. is this right?)

S-10 packs vary, but that sounds about right to me. Haven't done it myself, but my recollection is that folks have netted somewhere between 2.5" and 4" depending on what they use, AALs, etc.

Given what ACOS cost (I just bought a set, so am speaking from experience on this one), you'd be better off getting 3" front springs from the get-go, then adding in the ACOS later if you have major sag over time. I'm using them in conjunction with extended shackles to get me back up from around 2.5" to roughly 4".

I would avoid a transfer case drop; however much you lower it by is reducing the benefit of your lift by the same amount. Degree shims are cheap and easy to fit, and can compensate for the vibes you'd get with a shifted pinion angle without having to go to an SYE and rear shaft. YMMV, but mine (four degrees) have worked very well for my needs.

OME shocks or Bilsteins

OME. Haven't even done a direct comparison with the Bilsteins, but they're awesome.

Yes, but at 3" or less you can probably get away with the stock lines as long as you relocate the front brackets down a few inches.

Has anyone done a similar build / know anything about a similar build and which seemingly minor points turned into nightmares? Its my DD and only so this would have to be weekend-doable if its going to happen...

Click on the link in my signature for more info on what I'm running, but the mistakes I made in my build were the following:

- Going to 31" tyres without regearing. STUPID decision on my behalf, but you can get away with it.

- Not doing an adjustable trackbar at the outset. See above point as regards stupidity.

Those are the two that stick in my head... I seem to recall that there were others, but they were relatively minor in comparison.

yossarian19 said:
So here is my idea -
OME shocks or Bilsteins

-Tom

I know you can get a 3 inch rustys lift with full packs and everything needed for about $400 shipped.

I have run this lift, and besides all the bad luck people have had with rustys, i have had only good luck, and i really liked the flex i got out of the springs, and of the guys locally that run rustys, none have noticed the sag we all hear about, or the rough ride we hear about from rough country.

Personally, i have the bastard lift on mine, and it works great. However, if i had it to do again, i would have just saved the money and bought a lift kit when i went bigger rather than mix matching.

I did a similar "budget" lift on my '98. I combined two stock XJ packs: Cut-off main spring + next spring down as AALs on my original packs. That got me just 2.5" at first. It settled down almost a half inch after a few weeks. I added Rusty's 3/4 inch shackles to even things out.

In front I have the Rough Country 3" coils, which - at best - will get most people 2.5" out of the box. OME has 3/4" stackable spacers that I'll consider if the front sags or gets weighed down by "accessories."

I also have the Rusty's t-case drop (it was the cheapest). Shipping costs were shared with the shackles, but pretty much evened out the cost with some of the better quality drop kits. Rusty's is just a chunk of aluminum with holes drilled and some bolts. Get yourself some 1" square tube and fire up the drill press.

Problems with the t-case drop: I have a manual (AX-15) and the tranny shifted when I dropped the crossmember. Now I can't shift into reverse without moving my coffee cup! Otherwise, it did it's job and did away with vibs.

Bastard pack issues: Stock packs are stock packs and will continue to sag. S-10 packs are stiffer, so you might not have that issue. Check out Dakota packs.

ZJ coils (go with ones from a V-8): From what I have read, these should help with cornering, too. Choose spacers wisely, though. Polys look cool, but may squeak. Try stacking NEW oem rubber isolators.

Check out http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Great article for boosting on the cheap.

I have lifted a 98 and a 97 with bb's. Added a 2.25 inch poly spacer with a couple extra stock isolators for 3.5 inches in front and the s10 full length add a leaf in the rear. I did not mearure the rear lift, but its perfect with the 3.5 inches in front. Rides excellent, so I just can't see why people would do anything else for a short arm lift.

As far as possible danger spots. Add the leaf without removing the main spring, the spring bolts can tend to seize in place. The upper shock mount bolts may break. All four of the ones on my 97 did. Soak them real good with penetrating oil every day for a week before you try to remove them. If you break them, good luck. On the front end, get a set of extended sway bar end links. Longer shocks all around, and an adjustable trac bar.

casm said:
I would avoid a transfer case drop; however much you lower it by is reducing the benefit of your lift by the same amount. Degree shims are cheap and easy to fit, and can compensate for the vibes you'd get with a shifted pinion angle without having to go to an SYE and rear shaft. YMMV, but mine (four degrees) have worked very well for my needs.

The Rusty's X-member he's referring to drops th t-case 1 inch without ANY LOSS of ground clearance!

I got my RC 3" kit from ebay... $167.

So you say this ( I'm looking at lift kits and realizing that there is no way I'm dropping 700 on a 3" kit. I don't make enough. )

Stop right now, Back away from the jeep.. If you are going to off road this heep, you will SPEND more than that... Do it right or don't do it at all

scottmcneal said:
So you say this ( I'm looking at lift kits and realizing that there is no way I'm dropping 700 on a 3" kit. I don't make enough. )

Stop right now, Back away from the jeep.. If you are going to off road this heep, you will SPEND more than that... Do it right or don't do it at all

sooooooo true.
$167 3" kit has led to over $4000, and still happily going, in upgrades and gear. And I do not fear the total running over $15k when all is said and done!

check your local picnpull yard for jeeps with aal's and then pull shackles off a commanche, or use a few leafs from a commanche with longer u bolts, u can get the coils from the same jeeps usually, i see em here in sacto, CA at least once a month with a 3" lift, then grab ur shocks, eventually buy used lcas online somewhere, use 95 yj brakelines, and trim, and run 33's, theres a xj with aals and 3 " coils at a yard i just pulled two lockrights from out here for under 100$ and theres a commanche there too

Back