• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to swap a manual to an automatic?

lexx077

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '88 XJ lorado w/4.0 that originaly came with the Peugot 5 speed, but know has no tranny or transfer case in it (the XJ was free). I was wanting to switch it over to an automatic and was wondering what I would need and how to do it.

First thing you want to do is a search on this topic on here, that's where I found pretty much everything I needed when I swapped the AW4 into my MJ. Next you might want to look for a complete donor vehicle as there are quite a few parts needed. Off the top of my headhere's at least some of them:
- trans and t-case (duh), anything from '87-'96 I believe
- flexplate, '87-'90
- both driveshafts
- trans wiring harness
- trans control module
- shifter and cable
- TV (kickdown) cable
- Throttle Position sensor
- pedals
- and probably a few other bits I've forgotten.

Good luck and congrats on the free Jeep

thanx for the reply, I have a friend that has an auto tranny, T-case, and I think he has the Tranny control module. Is there anything that needs to be changed in the ECM? Is there any relays that need to be installed? or is it plug and play?

It's somewhat plug-n-play if you have the TCU harness, but you will have to dig a little in the wiring harness for power, ground, etc. You'll need to install the switch at the brake pedal as well. On an 87, there is no connections between the ECM and the TCU. Do a search as this has been covered several times in detail.

I just did this swap a few weeks ago. Search my username because there are a few good links in the thread I started like to Stu's site. He did it on a TJ, but it's very similar.

You don't have anything to hook into the ECU.

It was a lot easier having the donor XJ for all the little cr@p. Like I was able to take the brake peddle assy with both switches and swap the whole assy. I swapped into an 89 from a 90. It was not quite "plug n play" although by taking my time and opening up the wiring harness to follow the wiring, it was doable for me and I'm no mechanic by any streach of the imagination.

On my 89, all the required wiring for switches and what not was under the dash. The unused wiring (3 wires for switches I think) were hooked into the same connector unused. It didn't match the connector set up of the donor, so I just changed the connectors. Minor soldering is necessary (for better wire connection, but I guess you could use but splices if not).

You will also need to change the radiator for cooling the tranny fluid, or what I did was mount an external cooler with an electric fan. If you go this route, get one that is thermostatically controlled so it comes on and goes off at designated temps. I wired mine into the fuse box to come on with the key in the acc. position because I did not think to buy this type as Stu suggested. I will find a temp switch to add into the fluid line on mine to control this a little better.

All in all it was not to difficult. I just took my time and asked a hundred questions as I know next to nothing about vehicle wiring and computers. Being confident in getting the wiring correct was the hardest part for me.

Back