• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14.18V ?????????????WTF

what the hell would make the the truck have 14.18V comin out the batery(and every where)????????????????? it is pissin me off my radio wont work (and its not the radio i checked it in my other truck:flamemad: :flamemad: :flamemad: :flamemad: :flamemad: )

When I leave one of the bikes on a battery tender it will top out as mentioned, but after being unplugged overnight it typically will fall to 12.8 which is normal as I understand, anything below say 12.6 or less is considered no bueno and soon to fail.

what is your voltage when running? u might have a stuck voltage reg. that can shut down a radio. my old truck used to do that once in awhile.

If your alt, is pushing 15-18 Volts, Your Battery will go bad real fast or even explode!!!!!!!

Check the voltage when the jeep is running. If it's above 14.8, YOU NEED A NEW Alt. and you could still end up replacing the battery in the end.

Also check, Real close the power cable for the alt and the ground wire for the alt.

If cleaning these cable don't lower the running voltage below 14.8............Below 15.0V MAX........ you need to replace the alt.

Flash.

Most 12v vehicles will produce 13.8 with the engine running so most 12v auto electronics are designed to operate at 13.8v. A fully charged 12v battery will be 12.8v with the engine off over night. Although your voltage isn't too high it might be a good idea to check your battery and cables. Corroded or loose connections will cause the alternator to work harder and run at higher than normal voltage. Missing ground wires can cause trouble too. Its possible the alternator is staying on high charge but the voltage probably be 15 volts or higher. The connections on the radio may have worked loose.
Good luck
rikard

jeep alts are externally regulated, through the engine computer. 14.8 is high for a batter with the car off, should be between 11.5ish and 13ish. I work at Advance and occasionally I see someone come in with wierd numbers on the battery, and outrageous alt numbers, easy fix is to have the computer flashed. Have them both checked out on the car, and make sure that the kid running the machine knows what he/she is doing, we have a coule of employees who are retarded.

I haven't seen, or heard of, a 12V battery putting out at that high a voltage level...from static storage...

Back