• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine trouble

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok one more try...

The other day i was out mudding and thought water in the intake and dist. was the cause of the xj bogging down i guess you'd call it.

well yesterday on the same trail, my buddies told me to haul and romp, so i did, but it was only down a rocky road no mud/water.

Once again the engine bogged, not as bad as w/ the water hole before, but still a bit of bogg.

Where do i start searching for this problem. Seems fine now on the road, but back on the trail have that same prob. Want to fix it before i get stuck out on the trail.

Could it be my dist, plugs, wires.. or is it a fuel issue.

remember only happens while going down the trail, mud and all, no mud or water in dist or intake.

help please

I'd check fuel-pump (pressure) and or replace fuel-filter

Runs OK on the road (level, minor hills) but bogs on the steeps...
Had this same problem, but on a Mercedes ;-) Swapped fuel-pumps (and filter) and WoW! what a diff.

I had a very similar problem in my YJ when I was in Florida. Turned out I got a little water in the Throttle Position Sensor....sprayed it out with WD-40 (which helps displace the water) and it was as good as new in about 2 days. Now I just carry a spare one with me for sh!ts and giggles.

where might i find the fuel filter and the pump.. do i have to drop the tank or is she right there?

and the throttle position sensor where is that one at.

sorry guys rookie here

Back