• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 fellas i need your help

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i have a ford 8.8 in my cherokee and its making a growling noise from the drive shaft and what i am thinkin it is from is the offset pumkin and the weird angle on my pinion end u joint . have any of u had any problems like this ???

Remove the drive shaft to test if thats the noise. I'ts only off set a little. Did you reuse your old u-joints?

i had a new ds made up and its all new , i have removed the ds and its got to be it but i am also running 9 inches of lift and its not axel wrap makin thr noise cause i have made a anti wrap set up so maybee its too much angle on my cardan cv joint?? its just like the one on the stock fron shaft only its a spicer

The off set is only 2" I think. When your drive shaft is out you need to put about a 30" 2x4 that is cut square against your pinion yoke. The 2x4 should point directly at you transfer case yoke. Maybe a tad lower is OK. The off set will keep the u-joint turning and lubed. The other thing is just because your shaft is newish dosn't mean thats not your problem. A u-joint cap could not be perfect. If you bought it local ask them to check it while you check or adjust your pinion angle. 9" is awfull high. Why are you running that much lift and could you drop it some without much trouble? One more thing is to grab the yokes and check for up and down movement. With that much angle a little slop will couse trouble.

yeah i am gonna drop it back down to 6.5 inches of lift cause i have my bushwhackers on now and see if it stops any of the noise, and my pinion angle iis correct so i ruled that out and my diff is sound so its got to be my drive line angle i am thinkin , i get no vibes just a binding noise that follows pace with my drive shaft speed , so i am gonna try to take the xtra 3 inches off and see how that goes i think

How did you determine that the noise is the rear driveshaft, and not the front? If you haven't already, then remove the front dshaft and go for a drive - the angles/vibes from the front will be more of an issue with 9" lift -

I put in my 8.8, shimmed for the pinion to point pretty much right at the tcase output and with 6.5" lift all is good. I had to tweak the front a few times though before getting it right, but even now I have a noise that I suspect is the only freakin wheel bearing that I haven't yet replaced......grrrrr!!!

You sure it's not the 8.8 growling at you? Are the gears newly set in it? I'd pull the cover and take a looksee.

Put the rear up on jack stands and have someone "drive" for you, and you can see if you can find the exact source of the noise. BE CAREFUL!

Hale

My driveshaft is dangerously close to my stock muffler with my 8.8. I know its far fetched, but is your driveshaft rubbing against your muffler? Other than that, check your angles.

It is pretty common for a 8.8 to growl in "float" mode (not under throttle or under decelleration) if the setup is the least bit off....especially if it has a lunchbox locker....don't ask how I know:eyes:

checked all of that stuff guys and yeah it came to be the drive shaft , it all checks out awesome and i took the 3 inches off today and the noise definitly got quieter but its still there now maybee i am pulling teeth here but i this is my only ride and i love to travel so maybee i just need to mess with the angles a lil more but yeah all angles are what they are theoretically suppose to be and yeah dam noise drives me nuts

nothin ???? bump i still have this noise and have but about 2000 miles on it it hasent got any better or worse , this diff has sat for about 2 yrs in a wreckin yard with the pinion pointing down , could the bearings have made marks in the race causeing this noise???

mine makes noise

i'm just dealing with it until i get an sye

My 8.8 on my TJ makes NO noise. and I have a stupid short driveshaft. Gear set up maybe.

If you have an SYE completely pull the rear driveshaft and drive around in 4wd. If your noise goes away, you have some things to work on your driveshaft angles.

hmmmm tried that and yeah it went away but it still could be the diff also hell i am goin nuts with this dam noise i am mhoping that this setup i have now works until i regear , the nois only happenswhen its under load in reverse or drive

Back