• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

awesomely stupid question...

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I got to thinking about using true 4wd, like in our XJ's, and first off, all 4 wheels can't be spinning at the same speed, otherwise it will bind, right? That's why we can only use it on loose, slippery surfaces and not pavement. So, if you were to use a locker/lunchbox/whatever else, wouldn't that initiate binding? And how lenient is "loose slippery surface"? I.E. how much slippage is necessary for 4wd? Can I go for a small distance in 4wd, or can the wheels never be spinning at the same rate?

Thats why it wears the tires if you weld you're rear end! You're a retard if you weld the front spiders up unless you have a disco D30. If you weld the rear spiders then when you turn either the outer tire will drag or the inner tire will hop and make all kind noise... usually the inner one hops since all the weight is shifted to the outer wheel... You're logic is right but while offroad at low speeds its hardly noticable... With the rear welded while driving on road is also tolerable but less as enjoyable... I suggest a selectable locker for the rear and either a selectable for the front or a "lunchbox" locker.... While in 2HI you never know the front locker is there and when disengaged you never know the rear is there... Hope this helps... Andy

Edit: There are no stupid questions... Only stupid people~! lol JK

stock XJ's are not true 4wd. that only hapens with both diffs locked. 4wd can be used on dry pavement for short distances with no problem binding occours when all 4 wheels are not going the same speed. like when in a corner the outside tire's travel farther.

try it, all it can do is wrap up and break...If you try it, go slow.. If it does wrap up, then back up same amount to unwrap... did this in a dodge, pop t-case.. so i would not do it

I have an Easton automatic locker in the rear, and no locker up front, I'm just trying to get my boundaries straightened out. I know you have to be on a loose slippery surface for 4wd, so I'm trying to figure out how slippery, and so on.
The main thing is, when 4Hi or Lo is engaged, one of the wheels has to be able to spin, otherwise the drivetrain will bind up, correct?

Alright well I think a somewhat important question to ask might be what transfercase do you have?

NP242 or NP231....

What's your shifter say?

If it's a 242 you'll have no problems running around in 4 FULL TIME... I even did it locked front and rear...

In 4 low and 4 part time your transfercase is going to spin both driveshafts at the same rate.. so yeah it'll bind when turning on pavement..

In 4 full time the NP242 tranfercase allows the front to spin at a little different rate compared to the rear driveshaft...

Alrighty! With the selectable in the back and no locker up front you will be perfectly fine offroad in ANY situation in 4wd- when turning the selectable locker will slip and relieve all the other parts of any damage. And as long as you're not excessive about it you should be fine on road, just makes it hard to turn! just dont make a habit of 4wd on road! Why the hek would you need it anyway!
Hope i answered you're questions... Go ahead and put a selectable in the front axle as well! You'll love it! and If you have a disco from axle then weld the spiders and install a posi lock cable! Pretty much the Po' mans locker!

I'm open at both ends and it binds on the pavement in 4x if I have the wheel turned about 3/4 to full lock, I found this out a couple weeks ago when I was running a local mountain trail and pulled up onto an old helo pad to get out and stretch, it was fine pulling onto the pad, but when I went to turn around to leave there was some serious bindage and I had to go back to 2x

I'm thinking I have the NP231, because I have no full time 4wd option. Hi and Lo are all. Basically, I'm ok to use 4wd on the street as long as I don't go crazy? Or turn too much? Thanks for all the help, advice, and quick responses guys!

XJ98Jeep said:
I'm thinking I have the NP231, because I have no full time 4wd option. Hi and Lo are all. Basically, I'm ok to use 4wd on the street as long as I don't go crazy? Or turn too much? Thanks for all the help, advice, and quick responses guys!

Yea thats good enough... You ought to come to Laurens and ride with us sometime...Not that far from ATL "The Gulches ORV Park" google it!

Ok, so i have a stupid question. Why do you need 4wd on dry pavement? are you doing somekind of yupy tractor pull in the mall parking lot? Not trying to be an a$$ or anything but someone please explain.

I've found that in heavy rain 4 hi can be really useful on pavement, cuts down on the rear drifting when it goes to hydroplane.

I wasn't so much asking about using 4wd on pavement, just trying to figure out when I could use and when I couldn't.
Lowrange- I'll definitely come with you guys, as long as you don't mind a 16 year old tagging along...

It must be an old jeep wives tail.....I forgot to shift out of 4hi and ended up driving all the way home(about 2miles) from a buddies property last year.Pavement was dry and hot,drove surprisingly smooth too....unlike all those horror stories I've heard about 231's exploding on dry pavement...my case is still fine.

Now 4lo.....thats a different story,I could see that going boom on dry pavement real quick!!!

Yep, the main reason I was asking was I remember someone talking about how they shifted into 4-something awhile back at a gas station, drove forward about a foot, and heard a BANG. I never got around to checking on what the general consensus on damage was, but BANG can only be but so good.

Back